The Chicago White Sox (18-19) and the Kansas City Royals (14-22) meet in the rubber match of a five-game series on Thursday at 2:10 PM ET. The White Sox are -142 favorites on the moneyline to win the series over the Royals (+122). Chicago’s Vince Velasquez and Kansas City’s Carlos Hernandez have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
White Sox vs. Royals Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for White Sox vs. Royals
Our computer pick: Kansas City Royals (+122) and Over (9.5)
White Sox vs. Royals Game Info
- Chicago White Sox probable starting pitcher: Vince Velasquez
- Kansas City Royals probable starting pitcher: Carlos Hernández
- Game Day: Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Game Time: 2:10 PM ET
- Location: Kansas City, Missouri
- Stadium: Kauffman Stadium
Chicago White Sox vs Kansas City Royals Pitching Matchup
White Sox Starter Vince Velasquez
- Velasquez makes the start for the White Sox, his seventh of the season. He is 2-3 with a 5.53 ERA and 25 strikeouts through 27 2/3 innings pitched.
- His last time out came on Saturday against the New York Yankees, when the righty tossed five innings, surrendering seven earned runs while allowing eight hits.
- In six games this season, the 29-year-old has a 5.53 ERA and 8.1 strikeouts per nine innings, while giving up a batting average of .268 to his opponents.
- So far this season, Velásquez has not recorded a quality start.
- Velásquez is looking for his fourth straight appearance lasting five or more innings. He averages 4.2 innings per appearance on the mound.
- He will face a Royals offense that ranks 26th in the league with 129 runs while batting .229 as a unit. It has a collective .345 slugging percentage (27th in MLB play) and has hit a total of 24 home runs (28th in MLB).
Royals Starter Carlos Hernández
- Hernandez (0-3) will take the mound for the Royals, his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up nine earned runs and allowed eight hits in four innings pitched against the Colorado Rockies on Sunday.
- The 25-year-old has pitched to a 9.11 ERA this season with 4.4 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 5.1 walks per nine across six games.
- In six starts this season, Hernandez has not yet earned a quality start.
- In six starts this season, Hernandez has lasted five or more innings one time, with an average of 4.1 innings per appearance.
- The White Sox are batting .227 this season, 21st in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .350 (25th in the league) with 32 home runs.
White Sox Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the White Sox have won 16 out of the 30 games, or 53.3%, in which they’ve been favored.
- Chicago has a record of 7-9, a 43.8% win rate, when favored by -142 or more by sportsbooks this season.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the White Sox have a 58.7% chance to win.
- Chicago and its opponents have hit the over in 14 of their 41 games with a total this season.
- The White Sox have an ATS record of 18-23-0 in 41 games with a spread this season.
Royals Betting Picks & Insights
- The Royals have been chosen as underdogs in 34 games this year and have walked away with the win 13 times (38.2%) in those games.
- This season, Kansas City has come away with a win six times in 21 chances when named as an underdog of at least +122 or worse on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Royals have a 45% chance of pulling out a win.
- Contests with Kansas City have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 16 of 40 chances this season.
- The Royals have posted a record of 19-21-0 against the spread this season.
White Sox Leaders & Batting Stats
- The White Sox best hitter thus far this season is Tim Anderson, who’s hitting at a team-leading .338 rate along with four homers and 13 RBI.
- Anderson’s home runs place him 74th in the majors, and he is 132nd in RBI.
- Luis Robert’s five home runs lead his team.
- Robert is 51st in home runs and 132nd in RBI among all major league hitters this season.
- Jose Abreu paces the White Sox with 14 runs batted in.
- Abreu will look to build on his three-game hitting in this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .278 with two doubles, three walks and two RBI.
- Andrew Vaughn is batting .254 with three doubles, four home runs and five walks.
- Vaughn has recorded at least one hit in two games in a row. During his last five outings he is batting .167 with an RBI.
Royals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Andrew Benintendi paces the Royals with 16 runs batted in while putting up a team-best batting average of .302.
- Benintendi’s home run total puts him 172nd in MLB, and he ranks 80th in RBI.
- Benintendi takes a hitting streak of two games into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .200 with three walks and an RBI.
- Whit Merrifield has capitalized on opportunities as he leads his team with 16 runs batted in.
- Merrifield is 172nd in homers and 80th in RBI among all MLB hitters this season.
- Bobby Witt Jr. is batting .224 with eight doubles, two triples, four home runs and six walks.
- Hunter Dozier is hitting .281 with eight doubles, two triples, three home runs and seven walks.
|Bobby Witt Jr.||35||.224||.268||.403||4||15||30|
|Michael A. Taylor||33||.238||.333||.337||2||12||24|
Betting Tips for White Sox vs. Royals
Our best bet is the Royals on the moneyline at +122 after digging through all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer predicts the scoring will over the total of 9.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price