The Chicago White Sox (9-13) and Chicago Cubs (9-13) meet Tuesday at Wrigley Field, starting at 7:40 PM ET. The White Sox are -142 moneyline favorites for the contest, however, the Cubs are favored against the spread of runs with odds. The White Sox’s Michael Kopech and the Cubs’ Drew Smyly have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
White Sox vs. Cubs Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for White Sox vs. Cubs
Our computer pick: Chicago Cubs (+121)
White Sox vs. Cubs Game Info
- Chicago White Sox probable starting pitcher: Michael Kopech
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Drew Smyly
- Game Day: Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- Game Time: 7:40 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Chicago White Sox vs Chicago Cubs Pitching Matchup
White Sox Starter Michael Kopech
- Kopech (0-0) gets the starting nod for the White Sox in his fifth start of the season. He’s put together a 1.42 ERA in 19 innings pitched, with 18 strikeouts.
- The right-hander last pitched on Thursday against the Kansas City Royals, when he went five innings, allowing two earned runs while giving up three hits.
- In four games this season, the 26-year-old has an ERA of 1.42, with 8.5 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting only .148 against him.
- Kopech is looking for his fourth straight outing lasting five or more innings. He averages 4.2 frames per appearance on the mound.
- The opposing Cubs offense has a collective .246 batting average, and is eighth in the league with 177 total hits and 10th in MLB play with 96 runs scored. It has the 13th-ranked slugging percentage (.382) and ranks 22nd in home runs (17) in all of MLB.
Cubs Starter Drew Smyly
- The Cubs will hand the ball to Smyly (1-2) for his fifth start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last start was on Thursday, when he tossed 4 2/3 innings while giving up two earned runs on five hits in a matchup with the Atlanta Braves.
- The 32-year-old has an ERA of 2.79, 6.1 strikeouts per nine innings and an opponent batting average of .240 in four games this season.
- In four starts this season, Smyly has lasted five or more innings two times, with an average of 4.3 innings per appearance.
- The White Sox have scored 72 runs this season, which ranks 26th in MLB. They have 156 hits, 24th in baseball, with 19 home runs (16th in the league).
White Sox Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the White Sox have been favored 17 times and won nine, or 52.9%, of those games.
- The White Sox have a record of 3-4 when they’re favored by -142 or more by sportsbooks this season.
- The oddsmakers’ moneyline implies a 58.7% chance of a victory for the White Sox.
- The White Sox and their opponents have hit the over in 10 of their 23 games with a total this season.
- The White Sox are 9-14-0 against the spread in their 23 chances this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have been chosen as underdogs in 16 games this year and have walked away with the win seven times (43.8%) in those games.
- This year, the Cubs have won five of nine games when listed as at least +121 or better on the moneyline.
- The Cubs have an implied victory probability of 45.2% according to the moneyline set by oddsmakers for this matchup.
- The Cubs and their opponents have hit the over in 10 of their 22 games with a total this season.
- The Cubs are 11-11-0 against the spread in their 22 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
White Sox Leaders & Batting Stats
- The White Sox best hitter so far this season is Tim Anderson, who’s hitting at a team-leading .329 clip along with three homers and eight RBI.
- Of all hitters in baseball, Anderson’s home run total places him 51st, and his RBI tally ranks him 114th.
- Anderson takes a hitting streak of four games into this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .381 with a double, a home run and two RBI.
- Andrew Vaughn’s four home runs and 12 RBI are both team-highs.
- Luis Robert is batting .246 with two doubles, three home runs and a walk.
- Robert is on a three-game hitting streak entering this contest. In his last five games he is batting .381 with a double, a home run and three RBI.
- Jose Abreu has three doubles, two home runs and 10 walks while batting .224.
- Abreu is riding a five-game hitting streak into this one. During his last five outings he is hitting .294 with three walks and an RBI.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Seiya Suzuki leads the Cubs in home runs (four) and runs batted in (15).
- Suzuki’s home run total places him 23rd in the big leagues, and he ranks 11th in RBI.
- Ian Happ’s .303 batting average is a team-high mark.
- Happ is 82nd in homers and 60th in RBI among all batters in the majors.
- Willson Contreras is hitting .250 with six doubles, two home runs and nine walks.
- Patrick Wisdom has racked up a team-high four home runs.
Betting Tips for White Sox vs. Cubs
After looking at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup, our best bet is the Cubs on the moneyline at +121.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price