The Detroit Tigers (7-14) are set to take on the Pittsburgh Pirates (9-12) Tuesday at 7:10 PM ET. The Tigers are listed as -160 favorites by sportsbooks, while the underdog Pirates have +140 odds for the contest. Michael Pineda will get the ball for Detroit while Pittsburgh counter with Bryse Wilson.
Table of Contents
Tigers vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Tigers vs. Pirates
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+140) and Over (7.5)
Tigers vs. Pirates Game Info
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Michael Pineda
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Bryse Wilson
- Game Day: Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- Game Time: 7:10 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
Detroit Tigers vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Tigers Starter Michael Pineda
- Pineda (1-1) takes the mound for the Tigers to make his third start this season.
- His most recent time out was on Wednesday against the Minnesota Twins, when the righty went five innings, surrendering four earned runs while allowing seven hits.
- In two games this season, he has a 3.60 ERA and 3.6 strikeouts per nine innings, while opponents are hitting .256 against him.
- Pineda will look to pitch five or more innings for his third straight start. He’s averaging 5.0 frames per outing.
- The opposing Pirates offense has the 23rd-ranked slugging percentage (.341) and is 26th in MLB play with 12 home runs. It has a collective .240 batting average, and is 15th in MLB with 168 total hits and 23rd in MLB action scoring 79 runs.
Pirates Starter Bryse Wilson
- Wilson (0-0) will take the mound for the Pirates, his fourth start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last start was on Thursday, April 21, when he tossed three innings while giving up three earned runs on three hits in a matchup with the Chicago Cubs.
- The 24-year-old has pitched in three games this season with an ERA of 6.35, a 0.75 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.765.
- The Tigers rank 17th in MLB with a .232 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks 27th in the league (.322) and 10 home runs.
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Tigers have been favored three times and won one of those games.
- Detroit has not been a bigger favorite this season than the -160 moneyline set for this game.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Tigers have a 61.5% chance to win.
- Detroit and its opponents have gone over the total this season in eight of their 21 opportunities.
- In 21 games with a spread this season, the Tigers are 8-13-0 ATS.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have been victorious in seven, or 38.9%, of the 18 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- This year, Pittsburgh has won two of 10 games when listed as at least +140 or worse on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Pirates have a 41.7% chance of pulling out a win.
- Contests with Pittsburgh have gone over the total set by bookmakers in eight of 21 chances this season.
- The Pirates have posted a record of 11-10-0 against the spread this season.
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Austin Meadows has put up a team-high batting average of .319 and leads the Tigers in runs batted in (11).
- Meadows’ home runs rank him 263rd in the majors, and he ranks 60th in RBI.
- Meadows carries a four-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .300 with two walks and two RBI.
- Javier Baez has been productive as he paces his team with 11 RBI.
- Baez carries a four-game streak with at least one hit into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .273 with two doubles, a walk and three RBI.
- Spencer Torkelson leads the Tigers with three home runs.
- Robbie Grossman is hitting .288 with two doubles and 11 walks.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ke’Bryan Hayes leads the team in batting average with a mark of .343.
- In all of the majors, Hayes is 263rd in home runs and 167th in RBI.
- Hayes takes a hitting streak of three games into this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .389 with a double, three walks and two RBI.
- Michael Chavis been a consistent power bat this season, as he paces his team with three home runs and 12 RBI.
- Chavis is 51st overall in homers and 41st in RBI this year.
- Daniel Vogelbach has three home runs, best in the lineup.
- Ben Gamel has three doubles, a home run and eight walks while batting .233.
Betting Tips for Tigers vs. Pirates
Our best bet is the Pirates on the moneyline at +140 after taking a look at all of the key stats and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the total score will over the total of 7.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price