The Detroit Tigers (13-25) are -111 favorites to break their two-game losing streak when they face the Cleveland Guardians (16-19), losers of three in a row. The game begins Friday at 7:10 PM ET, live from Progressive Field. Detroit’s Tarik Skubal and Cleveland’s Aaron Civale have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Tigers vs. Guardians Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Tigers vs. Guardians
Our computer pick: Cleveland Guardians (-109) and Over (8.5)
Tigers vs. Guardians Game Info
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Tarik Skubal
- Cleveland Guardians probable starting pitcher: Aaron Civale
- Game Day: Friday, May 20, 2022
- Game Time: 7:10 PM ET
- Location: Cleveland, Ohio
- Stadium: Progressive Field
Detroit Tigers vs Cleveland Guardians Pitching Matchup
Tigers Starter Tarik Skubal
- Skubal makes the start for the Tigers, his eighth of the season. He is 3-2 with a 2.04 ERA and 45 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings pitched.
- The lefty’s most recent time out was on Sunday against the Baltimore Orioles, when he went six scoreless innings while giving up three hits.
- In seven games this season, the 25-year-old has amassed an ERA of 2.04, with 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .230 against him.
- Skubal is aiming to claim his fourth straight quality start in this matchup.
- Skubal will try to pitch five or more innings for his seventh straight appearance. He’s averaging 5.2 frames per outing.
- He will face off against a Guardians squad that is batting .245 as a unit (seventh in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .390 (12th in MLB) with 32 total home runs (20th in MLB).
- Among qualifying pitchers in MLB play this season, the 25-year-old’s 2.04 ERA ranks seventh, 1.059 WHIP ranks 18th, and 10.2 K/9 ranks 12th.
Guardians Starter Aaron Civale
- Civale (1-3) will take the mound for the Guardians, his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched on Saturday, when he gave up six earned runs and allowed seven hits in 4 2/3 innings against the Minnesota Twins.
- The 26-year-old has an ERA of 9.85, a 3.375 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.743 in six games this season.
- In six starts this season, Civale has not yet earned a quality start.
- In six starts, Civale has pitched through or past the fifth inning one time. He has a season average of 4.0 frames per outing.
- The Tigers have scored 105 runs this season, which ranks 30th in MLB. They have 271 hits, 25th in baseball, with 20 home runs (30th in the league).
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Tigers have won five, or 41.7%, of the 12 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Detroit has entered 12 games this season favored by -111 or more and is 5-7 in those contests.
- The implied probability of a win from the Tigers, based on the moneyline, is 52.6%.
- Detroit and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 11 of their 38 opportunities.
- The Tigers are 16-22-0 against the spread in their 38 chances this season.
Guardians Betting Picks & Insights
- The Guardians have been underdogs in 27 games this season and have come away with the win 12 times (44.4%) in those contests.
- This season, Cleveland has been victorious 11 times in 26 chances when named as an underdog of at least -109 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Guardians have an implied victory probability of 52.2% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Cleveland and their opponents have hit the over in 22 of their 39 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Guardians are 19-20-0 against the spread in their 39 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Miguel Cabrera paces the Tigers with 14 runs batted in while accumulating a team-high batting average of .286.
- Among all MLB batters, Cabrera ranks 34th in batting average, 77th in on-base percentage, and 86th in slugging.
- Jeimer Candelario is batting .205 with six doubles, a triple, three home runs and eight walks.
- Candelario is 117th in home runs and 152nd in RBI among all hitters in baseball.
- Candelario enters this matchup looking for his fourth game in a row with a hit. During his last five outings he is batting .167 with a home run, a walk and an RBI.
- Harold Castro is batting .292 with three doubles, a triple, a home run and two walks.
- Jonathan Schoop is hitting .161 with four doubles, three home runs and six walks.
Guardians Leaders & Batting Stats
- Jose Ramirez paces the Guardians in home runs (eight) and runs batted in (34).
- Ramirez ranks 16th in home runs and third in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Owen Miller has a club-best .294 batting average.
- Miller is 74th in homers and 101st in RBI among all hitters in the majors.
- Steven Kwan is batting .265 with six doubles, a triple, a home run and 17 walks.
- Myles Straw is hitting .238 with seven doubles, a triple and 22 walks.
Betting Tips for Tigers vs. Guardians
After taking a look at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup, our best bet is the Guardians on the moneyline at -109. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price