The Detroit Tigers (8-19) hope to avoid their seventh straight defeat when they visit the Oakland Athletics (10-18) Tuesday at 1:10 PM ET. The Tigers are listed as -115 favorites to snap their losing skid, while the Athletics are -104 underdogs. Tarik Skubal starts for Detroit while Frankie Montas is Oakland’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Tigers vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Tigers vs. Athletics
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (-104) and Over (6.5)
Tigers vs. Athletics Game Info
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Tarik Skubal
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Frankie Montas
- Game Day: Tuesday, May 10, 2022
- Game Time: 1:10 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Tigers Starter Tarik Skubal
- Skubal makes the start for the Tigers, his sixth of the season. He is 1-2 with a 3.04 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 26 2/3 innings pitched.
- The left-hander’s last appearance was on Friday against the Houston Astros, when he went six innings, surrendering two earned runs while allowing six hits.
- In five games this season, the 25-year-old has amassed a 3.04 ERA and 9.8 strikeouts per nine innings, while giving up a batting average of .267 to opposing batters.
- Skubal enters this game with two quality starts under his belt this season.
- Skubal will try to pitch five or more innings for his fifth straight appearance. He’s averaging 5.1 frames per outing.
- He will face an Athletics offense that ranks 25th in the league with 96 runs while batting .200 as a unit. It has a collective .314 slugging percentage (29th in MLB play) and has hit a total of 19 home runs (26th in MLB).
Athletics Starter Frankie Montas
- The Athletics’ Montas (2-2) will make his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander did not allow a run in seven innings pitched on Wednesday in his last outing, a matchup with the Tampa Bay Rays.
- The 29-year-old has pitched in six games this season with an ERA of 3.44 and 9.1 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .188.
- He has four quality starts in six chances this season.
- Montás will look to pitch five or more innings for the seventh start in a row.
- The Tigers have scored 78 runs this season, which ranks 29th in MLB. They have 193 hits, 24th in baseball, with 11 home runs (30th in the league).
- The 29-year-old ranks 40th in ERA (3.44), 13th in WHIP (.927), and 21st in K/9 (9.1) among qualified pitchers in the majors this campaign.
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Tigers have entered the game as favorites six times this season and won twice.
- This season, Detroit has won two of its six games when favored by at least -115 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 53.5% chance of a victory for the Tigers.
- Games involving Detroit have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in nine of 28 chances this season.
- The Tigers are 11-17-0 against the spread this season.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have been victorious in eight, or 34.8%, of the 23 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- Oakland has a win-loss record of 8-15 when favored by -104 or worse by bookmakers this year.
- The Athletics have an implied victory probability of 51% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Oakland and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 12 of their 29 opportunities.
- The Athletics have an against the spread record of 15-14-0 in 29 games with a line this season.
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Austin Meadows comes into Tuesday’s game hitting .284 with 11 RBI, both team-leading marks for the Tigers. He has also connected on zero long balls in 2022.
- In all of MLB, Meadows ranks 289th in home runs and 98th in RBI.
- Jeimer Candelario is batting .200 with five doubles, two home runs and six walks.
- Candelario ranks 116th in home runs and 163rd in RBI on the year.
- Javier Baez has racked up a team-best 11 runs batted in.
- Robbie Grossman is hitting .262 with four doubles and 14 walks.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Sean Murphy paces the Athletics in home runs (four) and runs batted in (15).
- Among all hitters in the big leagues, Murphy is 41st in home runs and 37th in RBI.
- Murphy carries a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .214 with two doubles and two walks.
- Sheldon Neuse has a club-best .304 batting average.
- Neuse is 116th among all hitters in the big leagues in homers, and 51st in RBI.
- Seth Brown paces the Athletics with 15 runs batted in.
- Elvis Andrus has five doubles, a home run and nine walks while hitting .184.
Betting Tips for Tigers vs. Athletics
Our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at -104 after analyzing all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer projects the total score will over the total of 6.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price