Two of the league’s top hitters will meet Saturday when the Tampa Bay Rays (7-6) and Boston Red Sox (7-6) take to the field at 6:10 PM ET. Wander Franco is batting .365 for the Rays (-120 favorites on the moneyline) while Xander Bogaerts leads the underdog Red Sox (+100) with a .362 average. J.P. Feyereisen gets the starting nod for Tampa Bay while Garrett Whitlock is Boston’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Rays vs. Red Sox Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Rays vs. Red Sox
Our computer pick: Boston Red Sox (+100) and Over (8)
Rays vs. Red Sox Game Info
- Tampa Bay Rays probable starting pitcher: J.P. Feyereisen
- Boston Red Sox probable starting pitcher: Garrett Whitlock
- Game Day: Saturday, April 23, 2022
- Game Time: 6:10 PM ET
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Stadium: Tropicana Field
Tampa Bay Rays vs Boston Red Sox Pitching Matchup
Rays Starter J.P. Feyereisen
- Feyereisen (0-0) pitches for the Rays to make his second start this season.
- In his last time out on Sunday, the righty tossed 2 2/3 scoreless innings against the Chicago White Sox without surrendering a hit.
- He has a .00 ERA and 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings while opponents are hitting .077 against him over his four appearances this season.
- He will take the hill against a Red Sox offense that ranks 14th in MLB with 101 total hits (on a .234 batting average). The squad also slugs a collective .367 (14th in MLB) with 10 total home runs (21st in MLB).
Red Sox Starter Garrett Whitlock
- The Red Sox will send out Whitlock for his first start of the season.
- The 25-year-old righty has pitched out of the bullpen four times already this campaign, but will make his first start.
- He has pitched in four games this season with an ERA of .93, a 5.5 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of .621.
- The Rays rank seventh in MLB with 61 runs scored this season. They have a .251 batting average this campaign with 11 home runs (16th in the league).
Rays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Rays have entered the game as favorites 10 times this season and won six of those games.
- This season, Tampa Bay has won five of its nine games, or 55.6%, when favored by at least -120 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 54.5% chance of a victory for the Rays.
- So far this season, Tampa Bay and its opponents have hit the over in five of their 13 games with a total.
- The Rays are 6-7-0 ATS in their 13 games with a spread this season.
Red Sox Betting Picks & Insights
- The Red Sox have been chosen as underdogs in six games this year and have walked away with the win two times (33.3%) in those games.
- Boston has a mark of 2-3 in contests where oddsmakers favor them by +100 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Red Sox have a 50% chance of walking away with the win.
- Boston and their opponents have hit the over in three of their 13 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Red Sox are 8-5-0 against the spread in their 13 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Rays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Not only does Franco lead the Rays in hitting with his .365 average, he also is their premier power option with three home runs and 10 RBI.
- Franco ranks 14th in homers and 12th in RBI among all hitters in baseball.
- Franco carries a five-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .391 with four doubles, three home runs and six RBI.
- Ji-Man Choi has three doubles, two home runs and 11 walks while batting .333.
- Brandon Lowe has hit a team-high three homers.
- Yandy Diaz has two doubles and six walks while batting .297.
- Diaz takes a three-game streak with at least one hit into this one. In his last five games he is batting .353 with a double, four walks and an RBI.
Red Sox Leaders & Batting Stats
- Rafael Devers leads the Red Sox with three long balls.
- Among all batters in the majors, Devers’ home run total ranks 14th and his RBI tally is 35th.
- Alex Verdugo has hit three home runs with 10 runs batted in, leading the team in both categories.
- Verdugo ranks 14th in homers and 12th in RBI among all batters in the majors.
- Kike Hernandez has six doubles, a home run and six walks while hitting .200.
- Bogaerts leads the team in batting average with a mark of .362.
Betting Tips for Rays vs. Red Sox
Our best bet is the Red Sox on the moneyline at +100 after taking a look at all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price