The Oakland Athletics (10-14 look to avoid the sweep when they host the Tampa Bay Rays (14-10) in the final game of a three-game set. Sportsbooks have listed the Rays as -123 favorites, while the Athletics are +104 underdogs to pick up a win. Tampa Bay’s Corey Kluber and Oakland’s Frankie Montas have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Rays vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Rays vs. Athletics
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+104) and Over (7)
Rays vs. Athletics Game Info
- Tampa Bay Rays probable starting pitcher: Corey Kluber
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Frankie Montas
- Game Day: Wednesday, May 4, 2022
- Game Time: 3:37 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland Coliseum
Tampa Bay Rays vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Rays Starter Corey Kluber
- The Rays will send Kluber (1-1) to the mound to make his fifth start of the season. He is 1-1 with a 3.05 ERA and 18 strikeouts through 20 2/3 innings pitched.
- In his most recent appearance on Friday, the right-hander threw six innings against the Minnesota Twins, giving up one earned run while surrendering one hit.
- In four games this season, the 36-year-old has amassed an ERA of 3.05, with 7.8 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .247 against him.
- Kluber is aiming for his fourth straight appearance lasting five or more innings. He averages 5.1 innings per appearance on the mound.
- He will match up with an Athletics offense that is hitting .209 as a unit (28th in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .335 (26th in MLB) with 19 total home runs (19th in MLB).
Athletics Starter Frankie Montas
- The Athletics’ Montas (2-2) will make his sixth start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up five earned runs in five innings pitched on Saturday in his last outing, a matchup with the Cleveland Guardians.
- The 29-year-old has pitched in five games this season with an ERA of 4.25, a 3.875 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of .978.
- He has earned a quality start three times in five starts this season.
- Montás will look to pitch five or more innings for the sixth start in a row.
- The Rays are batting .247 this season, fourth in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .400 (seventh in the league) with 22 home runs.
- This season, the right-hander has pitched against the Rays in one game, and they have gone 5-for-25 with a home run and an RBI over 6 1/3 innings.
- Among qualified Major League pitchers this season, the 29-year-old’s 4.25 ERA ranks 50th, .978 WHIP ranks 26th, and 9.4 K/9 ranks 18th.
Rays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Rays have won 13, or 61.9%, of the 21 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Tampa Bay has a record of 12-8 in games where oddsmakers favor them by at least -123 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 55.2% chance of a victory for the Rays.
- So far this season, Tampa Bay and its opponents have hit the over in 11 of their 24 games with a total.
- In 24 games with a spread this season, the Rays are 10-14-0 ATS.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have come away with seven wins in the 18 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- This season, Oakland has been victorious six times in 16 chances when named as an underdog of at least +104 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Athletics have a 49% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Oakland and their opponents have gone over in 12 of their 24 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Athletics are 11-13-0 against the spread in their 24 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Rays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Not only does Wander Franco lead the Rays in hitting with his .319 average, he also is their foremost power hitter with four home runs and 14 RBI.
- In all of the majors, Franco ranks 28th in homers and 25th in RBI.
- Franco takes a hitting streak of four games into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .316 with a double, two walks and two RBI.
- Yandy Diaz is hitting .318 with three doubles, two home runs and 15 walks.
- Diaz ranks 89th in homers and 180th in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Diaz has two straight games with at least one hit. During his last five outings he is batting .444 with a double, a home run, four walks and three RBI.
- Manuel Margot is batting .294 with three doubles, a triple and six walks.
- Margot will look to build on his three-game hitting in this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .350 with two doubles, a triple, a walk and three RBI.
- Brandon Lowe has four doubles, three home runs and eight walks while batting .189.
- Lowe is riding a three-game hitting streak into this one. During his last five outings he is batting .211 with three doubles and an RBI.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Sheldon Neuse leads the Athletics with a team-high batting average of .329.
- Neuse’s home run total puts him 89th in the majors, and he ranks 25th in RBI.
- Sean Murphy has been a reliable source of runs this year, leading the lineup with four home runs and 15 runs batted in.
- Murphy is 28th in home runs and 15th in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Tony Kemp is batting .234 with two doubles and nine walks.
- Elvis Andrus is batting .182 with five doubles, a home run and nine walks.
Betting Tips for Rays vs. Athletics
Our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at +104 after analyzing all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the total score will over the total of 7 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price