Game 3 of the NHL Playoffs First Round on Saturday, May 7 showcases the New York Rangers visiting the Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena at 7:00 PM ET. The teams are tied 1-1 in the series. Rangers (-123) at Penguins (+103) has a definite favorite, according to the moneyline odds. Find more below on the Rangers vs. Penguins betting line, injury report, head-to-head stats, best bets and more.
Table of Contents
Rangers vs. Penguins Spread and Betting Line
Rangers vs. Penguins Game Info
- Game Day: Saturday, May 7, 2022
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Arena: PPG Paints Arena
Computer Predictions for Rangers vs. Penguins
|Penguins (+1.5)||Under (6)||Penguins 4 Rangers 3|
Rangers vs. Penguins Betting Trends
- Through 49 games as the moneyline favorite this season, New York has won 34 times.
- In 42 games with shorter than -123 moneyline odds this season, the Rangers have won 30.
- The moneyline odds imply that New York has a 55.2% chance of winning this game.
New York Rangers Leaders
- One of New York’s top offensives player this season is Artemi Panarin, who has 96 points (22 goals, 74 assists) and plays an average of 19:13 per game.
- Mika Zibanejad has 82 points (1.0 per game), scoring 30 goals and adding 52 assists.
- Chris Kreider has 77 total points for New York, with 52 goals and 25 assists.
- Igor Shesterkin has a record of 36-13-4. He has allowed 106 goals (2.07 goals against average) and racked up 1516 saves.
New York Rangers Season Stats
- The Rangers are ranked 15th in the NHL with 250 goals this season, an average of 3.0 per contest.
- The Rangers have conceded the second-fewest goals in NHL play this season, 204 (only 2.5 per game).
- The team’s goal differential is 10th-best in the league at +46.
- The Rangers’ 55 power-play goals this season are ninth-best in the NHL (on 218 power-play chances).
- The Rangers have the league’s fourth-best power-play conversion rate at 25.2%.
- The Rangers’ offense has scored eight shorthanded goals this season (ninth among all squads).
- The Rangers defeat 82.3% of opponent power plays, currently the seventh-best penalty-kill percentage in the league.
- With a 48% faceoff win percentage, the Rangers have the 24th-ranked rate in the NHL.
- The Rangers have a 10.5% shooting percentage as a team, ranking eighth in the NHL.
- The Rangers have yet to shut out an opponent this season, averaging 25.5 hits and 14.2 blocked shots per game.
Penguins vs. Rangers Betting Trends
- The Penguins have been an underdog in 24 games this season, with 12 upset wins (50.0%).
- Pittsburgh has 19 games this season playing as an underdog by +103 or longer, and is 9-10 in those contests.
- Sportsbooks have implied, based on the moneyline for this matchup, that the Penguins have a 49.3% chance to win.
Pittsburgh Penguins Leaders
- Jake Guentzel’s 40 goals and 44 assists in 76 matchups give him 84 points on the season, making him a key part of his team’s offense.
- Sidney Crosby has made a big impact for Pittsburgh this season with 84 points, thanks to 31 goals and 53 assists.
- Kris Letang has 10 goals and 58 assists, for a season point total of 68.
- Tristan Jarry has a 34-18-6 record this season, with a .919 save percentage (15th in the league). In 58 games, he has 1573 saves, and has allowed 138 goals (2.4 goals against average).
Pittsburgh Penguins Season Stats
- The Penguins’ 269 total goals (3.3 per game) rank 11th in the NHL.
- The Penguins are one of the toughest defensive squads in the league this season, allowing 222 goals (2.7 per game) to rank fourth.
- Their ninth-best goal differential is +47.
- The Penguins have scored 50 power-play goals this season (15th in the NHL) on 248 power-play chances.
- The Penguins have the NHL’s 19th-ranked power-play conversion rate of 20.2%.
- The Penguins have scored three shorthanded goals this season (28th in the NHL).
- The 84.4% penalty-kill percentage the Penguins have put totgether is the league’s third-best rate.
- The Penguins have the 11th-ranked faceoff win rate in the NHL (51.1%).
- The Penguins’ collective 9.4% shooting percentage ranks 19th in the league.
- The Penguins have not had a shutout victory yet this season.
Rangers and Penguins Injury Report
Rangers: Barclay Goodrow: Day To Day (Undisclosed), Keith Kinkaid: Day To Day (Upper Body), Sammy Blais: Out For Season (Lower body), Tyler Motte: Out (Upper Body), Ryan Lindgren: Day To Day (Lower Body)
Penguins: Jason Zucker: Day To Day (Undisclosed), Tristan Jarry: Out (Foot), Rickard Rakell: Day To Day (Head), Brian Dumoulin: Day To Day (Undisclosed), Casey DeSmith: Day To Day (Undisclosed)
Betting Tips for Rangers vs. Penguins
The Penguins on the moneyline (103) is our best bet after looking at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer predicts the scoring will be under the total of 6 goals, with the Penguins (+1.5) covering the spread.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price