The New York Rangers are set for Game 2 of the NHL Playoffs First Round Thursday against the Pittsburgh Penguins, beginning at 7:00 PM ET. The Penguins are up 1-0 in the series. The oddsmakers have made the Rangers solid favorites at -139 on the moneyline, and the Penguins are at +117. Find more below on the Rangers vs. Penguins betting line, injury report, head-to-head stats, best bets and more.
Table of Contents
Rangers vs. Penguins Spread and Betting Line
Rangers vs. Penguins Game Info
- Game Day: Thursday, May 5, 2022
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Location: New York City, New York
- Arena: Madison Square Garden
Computer Predictions for Rangers vs. Penguins
|Penguins (+1.5)||Under (6)||Rangers 4 Penguins 2|
Rangers vs. Penguins Betting Trends
- New York has won 33 of its 48 games as a favorite this season.
- In 33 games with shorter than -139 moneyline odds this season, the Rangers have won 23.
- There is a 58.2% chance that New York wins this contest, per the moneyline.
New York Rangers Leaders
- Artemi Panarin is one of New York’s top contributors with 96 points. He has 22 goals and 74 assists this season.
- Mika Zibanejad is another top contributor for New York with 82 points (one per game), scoring 30 goals and adding 52 assists.
- Chris Kreider’s 77 points this season have come via 52 goals and 25 assists.
- Igor Shesterkin has a record of 36-13-4. He has conceded 106 goals (2.1 goals against average) and recorded 1516 saves with a .935 save percentage (fourth-best in the league).
New York Rangers Season Stats
- The Rangers are ranked 15th in the league with 250 goals this season, an average of 3.0 per contest.
- The Rangers have conceded the second-fewest goals in NHL play this season, 204 (only 2.5 per game).
- The squad has the league’s 10th-best goal differential at +46 this season.
- The Rangers’ 55 power-play goals this season are ninth-best in the NHL (on 218 power-play chances).
- The Rangers have the league’s fourth-best power-play conversion rate at 25.2%.
- The Rangers’ offense has recorded eight shorthanded goals this season (ninth among all teams).
- The Rangers’ 82.3% penalty-kill success rate is currently seventh-best in the league.
- The Rangers’ players win 48% of their faceoffs to rank 24th in the NHL.
- The Rangers shoot 10.5% as a team, ranked eighth-best in the league.
- The Rangers have yet to shut out an opponent this season, averaging 25.5 hits and 14.2 blocked shots per game.
Penguins vs. Rangers Betting Trends
- The Penguins have been listed as the underdog 23 times this season, and upset their opponent 12 times.
- Pittsburgh is 6-4 when it is the underdog by +117 or longer on the moneyline.
- The win probability for the Penguins, implied from the moneyline, is 46.1%.
Pittsburgh Penguins Leaders
- Sidney Crosby is among the top options on offense for Pittsburgh, with 84 points this season. He has recorded 31 goals and 53 assists in 69 games.
- Jake Guentzel is a top scorer for Pittsburgh, with 84 total points this season. He has scored 40 goals and provided 44 assists in 76 games.
- Kris Letang has scored 10 goals and contributed 58 assists for Pittsburgh, giving him a point total of 68.
- Tristan Jarry’s record stands at 34-18-6 on the season, giving up 138 goals (2.4 goals against average) and collecting 1573 saves with a .919 save percentage (10th-best in the league).
Pittsburgh Penguins Season Stats
- The Penguins have scored 269 goals this season (3.3 per game) to rank 11th in the NHL.
- The Penguins have allowed 2.7 goals per game, 222 total, the fourth-fewest among league teams.
- They have a +47 goal differential, which is ninth-best in the league.
- The Penguins have put up 50 power-play goals this season, which ranks 15th in the NHL (on 248 power-play chances).
- The Penguins have a 20.2% power-play conversion rate, the NHL’s No. 19 percentage.
- The Penguins have scored three shorthanded goals this season (28th in the NHL).
- The Penguins’ third-best penalty kill rate is 84.4%.
- The Penguins have the 11th-ranked faceoff win percentage in the NHL (51.1%).
- The 9.4% shooting percentage the Penguins have amassed ranks 19th in the league.
- The Penguins have not had a shutout victory yet this season.
Rangers and Penguins Injury Report
Rangers: Keith Kinkaid: Day To Day (Upper Body), Sammy Blais: Out For Season (Lower body), Tyler Motte: Out (Upper Body)
Penguins: Jason Zucker: Day To Day (Undisclosed), Tristan Jarry: Out (Foot), Rickard Rakell: Day To Day (Head), Nathan Beaulieu: Out (Undisclosed), Casey DeSmith: Day To Day (Undisclosed)
Betting Tips for Rangers vs. Penguins
We have the Rangers -139 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after looking at all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will be under the total of 6 goals, with the Penguins (+1.5) covering the spread.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price