Game 1 of the NHL Playoffs First Round on Tuesday, May 3 showcases the New York Rangers hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden at 7:00 PM ET. The Penguins are underdogs away from home, at +107, and the Rangers are -127. Find more below on the Rangers vs. Penguins betting line, injury report, head-to-head stats, best bets and more.
Table of Contents
Rangers vs. Penguins Spread and Betting Line
Rangers vs. Penguins Game Info
- Game Day: Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- Game Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Location: New York City, New York
- Arena: Madison Square Garden
Computer Predictions for Rangers vs. Penguins
|Penguins (+1.5)||Over (5.5)||Rangers 4 Penguins 2|
Rangers vs. Penguins Betting Trends
- New York has gone 33-13 as the oddsmakers’ choice this season.
- The Rangers have been victorious in 28 of the 39 games they have played with moneyline odds lower than -127.
- The moneyline odds say New York has a 55.9% chance of winning this game.
New York Rangers Leaders
- Artemi Panarin is one of New York’s leading contributors with 96 points. He has 22 goals and 74 assists this season.
- Mika Zibanejad has 30 goals and 52 assists to total 82 points (1.0 per game).
- Chris Kreider has 52 goals and 25 assists for New York.
- Igor Shesterkin (36-13-4) has a 2.1 goals against average and a .935 save percentage (first in the league).
New York Rangers Season Stats
- The Rangers offense’s 250 total goals (3.0 per game) rank 15th in the NHL.
- The Rangers are ranked second in NHL play for the fewest goals against this season, having given up 204 total goals (just 2.5 per game).
- The squad has the league’s 10th-best goal differential at +46 this season.
- The Rangers’ 55 power-play goals this season are ninth-best in the NHL (on 218 power-play chances).
- The Rangers have the NHL’s fourth-best power-play conversion rate at 25.2%.
- The Rangers’ eight shorthanded goals this season rank ninth.
- The Rangers defeat 82.3% of opponent power plays, currently the seventh-best penalty-kill percentage in the NHL.
- The Rangers win 48% of their faceoffs (24th in the league).
- The Rangers convert 10.5% of their shots, ranking eighth in the NHL.
- The Rangers average 25.5 hits and 14.2 blocked shots per game.
Penguins vs. Rangers Betting Trends
- This season the Penguins have 10 wins in the 21 games in which they’ve been an underdog.
- Pittsburgh is 8-8 when bookmakers have listed them as underdogs of +107 or longer on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied, based on the moneyline in this matchup, that the Penguins have a 48.3% chance to win.
Pittsburgh Penguins Leaders
- Sidney Crosby is a leading scorer for Pittsburgh, with 84 points this season. He has put up 31 goals and 53 assists in 69 games.
- Jake Guentzel is a top scorer for Pittsburgh, with 84 total points this season. He has netted 40 goals and provided 44 assists in 76 contests.
- Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang has 68 points (10 goals, 58 assists) this season.
- Tristan Jarry’s record stands at 34-18-6 on the season, giving up 138 goals (2.4 goals against average) and collecting 1573 saves with a .919 save percentage (sixth-best in the league).
Pittsburgh Penguins Season Stats
- The Penguins have scored 269 goals this season (3.3 per game) to rank 11th in the NHL.
- The Penguins are one of the toughest defensive units in the league this season, giving up 222 goals (2.7 per game) to rank fourth.
- Their +47 goal differential is ninth-best in the league.
- The Penguins have scored 50 power-play goals this season (on 248 power-play chances). That ranks 15th in the NHL.
- The Penguins’ power-play conversion rate (20.2%) ranks 19th in the league.
- The Penguins have scored three shorthanded goals this season (28th among NHL squads).
- The 84.4% of opponent power plays the Penguins kill is the third-best penalty-kill percentage in the league.
- The Penguins win 51.1% of their faceoffs. That’s the 11th-ranked rate in the NHL.
- The Penguins’ collective 9.4% shooting percentage ranks 19th in the league.
- The Penguins have not yet shut out an opponent this season.
Rangers and Penguins Injury Report
Rangers: Sammy Blais: Out For Season (Lower body), Tyler Motte: Out (Upper Body)
Penguins: Jason Zucker: Day To Day (Undisclosed), Tristan Jarry: Out (Foot), Nathan Beaulieu: Out (Undisclosed)
Betting Tips for Rangers vs. Penguins
The Rangers on the moneyline (-127) is our best bet after looking at all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will finish over the total of 5.5 goals, with the Penguins (+1.5) covering the spread.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price