Seeking their 15th win of the year, the Pittsburgh Pirates (14-19) are favorites (-134) on the moneyline when they take on the Cincinnati Reds (9-25) Sunday at 1:35 PM ET. Jose Quintana will get the ball for Pittsburgh while Cincinnati counter with Hunter Greene.
Table of Contents
Pirates vs. Reds Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Pirates vs. Reds
Our computer pick: Cincinnati Reds (+114) and Over (8.5)
Pirates vs. Reds Game Info
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: José Quintana
- Cincinnati Reds probable starting pitcher: Hunter Greene
- Game Day: Sunday, May 15, 2022
- Game Time: 1:35 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Cincinnati Reds Pitching Matchup
Pirates Starter José Quintana
- Quintana gets the start for the Pirates, his seventh of the season. He is 1-1 with a 2.70 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 30 innings pitched.
- His last time out was on Monday against the Los Angeles Dodgers, when the lefty went six scoreless innings while allowing two hits.
- In six games this season, the 33-year-old has an ERA of 2.70, with 7.5 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are batting .207 against him.
- Quintana enters the game with one quality start under his belt this season.
- Quintana will aim to pitch five or more innings for his fourth straight appearance. He’s averaging 5.0 frames per outing.
- He will match up with a Reds offense that ranks 24th in MLB with 240 total hits (on a .218 batting average). The squad also slugs a collective .355 (23rd in MLB) with 29 total home runs (18th in MLB).
Reds Starter Hunter Greene
- The Reds’ Greene (1-5) will make his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up two earned runs in 5 1/3 innings pitched on Tuesday in his last outing, a matchup with the Milwaukee Brewers.
- The 22-year-old has pitched in six games this season with an ERA of 7.62 and 12.1 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .291.
- Greene has not earned a quality start in six starts this season.
- Greene has made three starts of five or more innings in six chances this season, and averages 4.1 frames when he pitches.
- The Pirates are batting .233 this season, 17th in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .363 (19th in the league) with 27 home runs.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have won three of the six games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Pittsburgh has not been a bigger favorite this season than the -134 moneyline set for this game.
- The oddsmakers’ moneyline implies a 57.3% chance of a victory for the Pirates.
- So far this season, Pittsburgh and its opponents have hit the over in 14 of their 33 games with a total.
- The Pirates have an ATS record of 17-16-0 in 33 games with a spread this season.
Reds Betting Picks & Insights
- The Reds have been chosen as underdogs in 28 games this year and have walked away with the win seven times (25%) in those games.
- This year, Cincinnati has won five of 22 games when listed as at least +114 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Reds have a 46.7% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Cincinnati and their opponents have hit the over in 22 of their 34 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Reds have an against the spread record of 13-21-0 in 34 games with a line this season.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ben Gamel has put up a team-high 15 runs batted in.
- Among all MLB hitters, Gamel is 24th in batting average, 25th in on-base percentage, and 42nd in slugging.
- Daniel Vogelbach’s six home runs lead his team.
- Vogelbach is 24th in home runs and 102nd in RBI on the season.
- Vogelbach heads into this game looking for his third game in a row with a hit. In his last five games he is hitting .357 with a double, two home runs, five walks and two RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes leads the Pirates with a .312 batting average.
- Bryan Reynolds has three doubles, a triple, four home runs and 15 walks while hitting .214.
Reds Leaders & Batting Stats
- Brandon Drury leads the Reds in home runs (seven), runs batted in (22) and has a team-best batting average of .260.
- Drury’s home run total places him 14th in the big leagues, and he is 18th in RBI.
- Drury carries a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .158 with a double, a home run, four walks and four RBI.
- Tommy Pham has five doubles, four home runs and 21 walks while hitting .239.
- Pham ranks 59th in homers and 135th in RBI among all batters in the big leagues.
- Tyler Stephenson is batting .324 with five doubles, four home runs and six walks.
- Tyler Naquin is batting .255 with 10 doubles, a triple, two home runs and seven walks.
Betting Tips for Pirates vs. Reds
After looking at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup, our best bet is the Reds on the moneyline at +114. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price