The Pittsburgh Pirates will look to pick up their 14th win of the season when they take on the Cincinnati Reds (8-24) Friday. The game begins at 6:35 PM ET, with the Pirates listed as -113 favorites on the moneyline. Pittsburgh’s Mitch Keller gets the start, and he’ll go against Cincinnati’s Tyler Mahle.
Table of Contents
Pirates vs. Reds Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Pirates vs. Reds
Our computer pick: Cincinnati Reds (-107) and Over (8)
Pirates vs. Reds Game Info
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Mitch Keller
- Cincinnati Reds probable starting pitcher: Tyler Mahle
- Game Day: Friday, May 13, 2022
- Game Time: 6:35 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Cincinnati Reds Pitching Matchup
Pirates Starter Mitch Keller
- Keller makes the start for the Pirates, his seventh of the season. He is 0-4 with a 6.11 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 28 innings pitched.
- The right-hander’s most recent appearance was on Saturday against the Cincinnati Reds, when he went 4 1/3 innings, surrendering five earned runs while allowing six hits.
- In six games this season, the 26-year-old has an ERA of 6.11, with 7.7 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .284 against him.
- Keller heads into this game with one quality start under his belt this season.
- Keller has put together two starts this year in which he pitched five or more innings.
- The opposing Reds offense has the 24th-ranked slugging percentage (.351) and ranks 21st in MLB play with 26 home runs. It has a collective .218 batting average, and is 25th in MLB with 226 total hits and 14th in MLB play scoring 132 runs.
- Keller has a 10.38 ERA and a 2.077 WHIP against the Reds this season in 4 1/3 innings pitched, allowing a .316 batting average over one appearance.
Reds Starter Tyler Mahle
- Mahle (1-4) will take to the mound for the Reds and make his eighth start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last start was on Sunday, when he tossed five innings while giving up two earned runs on one hit in a matchup with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- The 27-year-old has pitched to a 6.46 ERA this season with 9.4 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 5.0 walks per nine across seven games.
- Mahle has not earned a quality start in seven starts this season.
- Mahle has three starts of five or more innings this season in seven chances. He averages 4.1 innings per outing.
- The Pirates have scored 113 runs this season, which ranks 25th in MLB. They are batting .235 for the campaign with 25 home runs, 23rd in the league.
- The Pirates have gone 1-for-16 with a home run and two RBI in five innings this season against the right-hander.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have won three of the six games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Pittsburgh is 3-3 this season when entering a game favored by -113 or more on the moneyline.
- The implied probability of a win from the Pirates, based on the moneyline, is 53.1%.
- So far this season, Pittsburgh and its opponents have hit the over in 13 of their 31 games with a total.
- The Pirates have an ATS record of 16-15-0 in 31 games with a spread this season.
Reds Betting Picks & Insights
- The Reds have come away with seven wins in the 28 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Cincinnati has a win-loss record of 7-20 when favored by -107 or worse by bookmakers this year.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Reds have a 51.7% chance of walking away with the win.
- Cincinnati and their opponents have gone over in 21 of their 32 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Reds have posted a record of 12-20-0 against the spread this season.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ben Gamel paces the Pirates with 14 runs batted in.
- Gamel’s home runs put him 133rd in the majors, and he is 72nd in RBI.
- Gamel carries a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .263 with a double, three walks and an RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes has a club-high .320 batting average.
- Hayes ranks 300th in home runs in MLB, and 209th in RBI.
- Daniel Vogelbach paces the Pirates with five home runs.
- Bryan Reynolds is hitting .222 with three doubles, a triple, four home runs and 15 walks.
Reds Leaders & Batting Stats
- Brandon Drury paces the Reds with six homers while racking up a team-leading batting average of .253.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Drury is 22nd in home runs and 36th in RBI.
- Tommy Pham has five doubles, four home runs and 19 walks while batting .245.
- Pham ranks 55th among all hitters in the big leagues in home runs, and 118th in RBI.
- Tyler Stephenson is batting .349 with five doubles, four home runs and six walks.
- Colin Moran has recorded a team-high 21 runs batted in.
Betting Tips for Pirates vs. Reds
Our best bet is the Reds on the moneyline at -107 after analyzing all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price