Seeking their 14th win of the year, the Pittsburgh Pirates (13-16) are favorites (-140) on the moneyline when they take on the Cincinnati Reds (7-24) Thursday at 6:35 PM ET. JT Brubaker will get the ball for Pittsburgh while Cincinnati counter with Connor Overton.
Table of Contents
Pirates vs. Reds Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Pirates vs. Reds
Our computer pick: Cincinnati Reds (+119) and Over (8)
Pirates vs. Reds Game Info
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: JT Brubaker
- Cincinnati Reds probable starting pitcher: Connor Overton
- Game Day: Thursday, May 12, 2022
- Game Time: 6:35 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Cincinnati Reds Pitching Matchup
Pirates Starter JT Brubaker
- Brubaker (0-2 with a 5.68 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 25 1/3 innings pitched) gets the start for the Pirates, his seventh of the season.
- His most recent appearance was on Saturday against the Cincinnati Reds, when the right-hander went five innings, surrendering two earned runs while allowing three hits.
- The 28-year-old has put together a 5.68 ERA and 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings across six games this season, while giving up a batting average of .220 to his opponents.
- Brubaker is yet to notch a quality start this season.
- Brubaker will try to continue a three-game streak of lasting five or more innings (he’s averaging 4.1 innings per outing).
- He meets a Reds offense that ranks 11th in the league with 128 runs while batting .217 as a squad. It has a collective .349 slugging percentage (24th in MLB action) and has hit a total of 25 home runs (18th in MLB).
- Brubaker has thrown five innings, giving up two earned runs on three hits while striking out nine against the Reds this season.
Reds Starter Connor Overton
- The Reds’ Overton will make his third start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched on Saturday against the Pittsburgh Pirates, throwing 5 1/3 innings and giving up two earned runs.
- He has pitched in two games this season with an ERA of 2.53, a batting average against of .243 and 5.9 strikeouts per nine innings.
- Overton has pitched five or more innings in two straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Pirates have scored 112 runs this season, which ranks 21st in MLB. They have 235 hits, 11th in baseball, with 25 home runs (18th in the league).
- The Pirates have gone 6-for-21 with two doubles and two RBI in 5 1/3 innings this season against the right-hander.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have won three of the five games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Pittsburgh has not entered a game this season as a bigger favorite on the moneyline than the -140 odds on them winning this game.
- The implied probability of a win from the Pirates, based on the moneyline, is 58.3%.
- Pittsburgh and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 13 of their 29 opportunities.
- The Pirates are 16-13-0 against the spread this season.
Reds Betting Picks & Insights
- The Reds have won in six, or 22.2%, of the 27 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- Cincinnati has a mark of 5-17 in contests where oddsmakers favor them by +119 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Reds have a 45.7% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Cincinnati and their opponents have gone over in 21 of their 31 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Reds have an against the spread mark of 11-20-0 in 31 games with a line this season.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ben Gamel leads the Pirates with 14 runs batted in.
- Gamel’s home runs rank him 123rd in the majors, and he is 64th in RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes’ .327 batting average paces his team.
- Among all major league hitters, Hayes ranks 291st in home runs and 194th in RBI.
- Daniel Vogelbach has a team-best five home runs.
- Bryan Reynolds has three doubles, a triple, four home runs and 14 walks while hitting .228.
Reds Leaders & Batting Stats
- Brandon Drury leads the Reds with six home runs and has put up a team-best batting average of .267.
- In all of the majors, Drury ranks 18th in home runs and 29th in RBI.
- Tommy Pham is hitting .245 with five doubles, four home runs and 18 walks.
- Among all major league hitters, Pham is 51st in homers and 107th in RBI.
- Tyler Stephenson has five doubles, three home runs and six walks while batting .322.
- Colin Moran has driven in the most runs for the Reds with 20 runs batted in.
Betting Tips for Pirates vs. Reds
We have the Reds on the moneyline at +119 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after analyzing all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price