The Philadelphia Phillies (18-19), led by Bryce Harper on a three-game home run streak, are -121 favorites on the moneyline to defeat the San Diego Padres (23-14). First pitch is set for 1:05 PM ET Thursday, live from Citizens Bank Park. Philadelphia’s Kyle Gibson and San Diego’s Yu Darvish have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Phillies vs. Padres Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Phillies vs. Padres
Our computer pick: San Diego Padres (+101) and Over (8)
Phillies vs. Padres Game Info
- Philadelphia Phillies probable starting pitcher: Kyle Gibson
- San Diego Padres probable starting pitcher: Yu Darvish
- Game Day: Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Game Time: 1:05 PM ET
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: Citizens Bank Park
Philadelphia Phillies vs San Diego Padres Pitching Matchup
Phillies Starter Kyle Gibson
- The Phillies will send Gibson (3-1) out to make his eighth start of the season. He is 3-1 with a 4.10 ERA and 30 strikeouts through 37 1/3 innings pitched.
- In his last appearance on Saturday, the right-hander threw 3 2/3 innings against the Los Angeles Dodgers, allowing six earned runs while surrendering eight hits.
- The 34-year-old has a 4.10 ERA and 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings across seven games this season, while allowing a batting average of .232 to opposing hitters.
- Gibson has three quality starts under his belt this season.
- Gibson has pitched five or more innings in a game four times this season entering this game.
- He will face a Padres offense that ranks 21st in MLB with 275 total hits (on a .225 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .356 (20th in MLB) with 30 total home runs (21st in MLB).
- This season, the 34-year-old ranks 42nd in ERA (4.10), 35th in WHIP (1.205), and 45th in K/9 (7.2) among pitchers who qualify.
Padres Starter Yu Darvish
- The Padres’ Darvish (3-1) will make his eighth start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Friday, when he threw 5 2/3 innings against the Atlanta Braves, giving up five earned runs while allowing nine hits.
- The 35-year-old has an ERA of 4.62 and 7.4 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .235 in seven games this season.
- He has five quality starts in seven chances this season.
- Darvish has pitched five or more innings in five straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Phillies are batting .251 this season, second in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .421 (second in the league) with 45 home runs.
- The 35-year-old ranks 51st in ERA (4.62), 32nd in WHIP (1.179), and 40th in K/9 (7.4) among qualified pitchers in the majors this campaign.
Phillies Betting Picks & Insights
- The Phillies have won 11, or 47.8%, of the 23 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Philadelphia has entered 20 games this season favored by -121 or more and is 9-11 in those contests.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Phillies have a 54.8% chance to win.
- Philadelphia and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 19 of their 37 opportunities.
- The Phillies are 19-18-0 against the spread this season.
Padres Betting Picks & Insights
- The Padres have been underdogs in 12 games this season and have come away with the win six times (50%) in those contests.
- This season, San Diego has come away with a win four times in nine chances when named as an underdog of at least +101 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Padres have a 49.8% chance of walking away with the win.
- Contests with San Diego have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 19 of 38 chances this season.
- The Padres have posted a record of 20-18-0 against the spread this season.
Phillies Leaders & Batting Stats
- Harper is the bat to watch in the Phillies lineup, leading the team in batting average (.305), home runs (9), and RBI (27).
- Among all hitters in MLB, Harper’s home run total places him eighth, and his RBI tally ranks him 10th.
- Harper carries a six-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last 10 games he is hitting .450 with seven doubles, five home runs, four walks and 12 RBI.
- Jean Segura has three doubles, six home runs and nine walks while batting .297.
- Among all major league batters, Segura is 36th in homers and 114th in RBI.
- Nicholas Castellanos is batting .279 with nine doubles, five home runs and 12 walks.
- Rhys Hoskins is batting .231 with seven doubles, a triple, seven home runs and 16 walks.
Padres Leaders & Batting Stats
- Manny Machado has a team- leading batting average of .353, while pacing the Padres in long balls with seven.
- Among all hitters in the big leagues, Machado ranks 24th in homers and 19th in RBI.
- Machado takes a hitting streak of two games into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .125 with two walks and an RBI.
- Eric Hosmer has put up 24 runs batted in to pace his team.
- Hosmer is 73rd overall in homers and 15th in RBI this year.
- Jurickson Profar is hitting .190 with eight doubles, a triple, five home runs and 22 walks.
- Ha-Seong Kim is hitting .218 with six doubles, a triple, four home runs and 14 walks.
Betting Tips for Phillies vs. Padres
Our best bet is the Padres on the moneyline at +101 after digging through all of the key stats and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the total score will over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price