Game 2 of the NHL Playoffs First Round at BB&T Center features the Florida Panthers and the Washington Capitals meeting at 7:30 PM ET on Thursday, May 5. The Capitals are ahead 1-0 in the series. The Capitals are big underdogs on the road, at +203, and the Panthers are -248. Find more below on the Panthers vs. Capitals betting line, injury report, head-to-head stats, best bets and more.
Table of Contents
Panthers vs. Capitals Spread and Betting Line
Panthers vs. Capitals Game Info
- Game Day: Thursday, May 5, 2022
- Game Time: 7:30 PM ET
- Location: Sunrise, Florida
- Arena: BB&T Center
Computer Predictions for Panthers vs. Capitals
|Panthers (-1.5)||Over (6.5)||Panthers 4 Capitals 2|
Panthers vs. Capitals Betting Trends
- Through 76 games as the moneyline favorite this season, Florida has been victorious 55 times.
- Through 28 games with moneyline odds shorter than -248 this season, the Panthers have won 22 times.
- Based on the moneyline odds, Florida has a 71.3% chance of winning this contest.
Florida Panthers Leaders
- A leading offensive player this season for Florida, Jonathan Huberdeau has scored 115 points in 80 games (30 goals and 85 assists).
- Aleksander Barkov Jr. is another top contributor for Florida with 88 points (1.3 per game), scoring 39 goals and adding 49 assists.
- Sam Reinhart has 84 total points for Florida, with 33 goals and 51 assists.
- Sergei Bobrovsky (39-7-3) has a 2.7 goals against average and a .912 save percentage (23rd in the league).
Florida Panthers Season Stats
- The Panthers are the top-scoring unit in the NHL with an average of 4.1 goals per game, resulting in 337 this season.
- The Panthers are ranked 12th in league play in goals against this season, having given up 242 total goals (3.0 per game).
- Their +95 goal differential is top-rated in the league.
- The 64 power-play goals the Panthers have scored this season have come on 262 power-play chances, ranking them second-best in the NHL.
- The Panthers’ 24.4% power-play conversion rate is fifth-best in the NHL this season.
- The Panthers’ 12 shorthanded goals this season rank second.
- The Panthers have the league’s 16th-ranked penalty-kill percentage at 79.5%.
- The Panthers win 48.2% of their faceoffs (22nd in the league).
- The Panthers have an 11% shooting percentage as a squad, ranking fourth in the NHL.
- The Panthers have yet to shut out an opponent this season, averaging 25 hits and 12.1 blocked shots per game.
Capitals vs. Panthers Betting Trends
- The Capitals have been an underdog in 30 games this season, with 16 upset wins (53.3%).
- Washington has had moneyline odds of +203 or longer once this season and won that game.
- Sportsbooks have implied, based on the moneyline for this matchup, that the Capitals have a 33.0% chance to win.
Washington Capitals Leaders
- Alex Ovechkin has totaled 50 goals (0.6 per game) and put up 41 assists (0.5 per game), averaging 4.3 shots per game and shooting 15%. That makes him among the leaders for Washington with 91 total points (1.2 per game).
- Evgeny Kuznetsov is a key contributor for Washington, with 78 total points this season. He has scored 24 goals and provided 54 assists in 79 games.
- John Carlson has scored 17 goals and contributed 54 assists for Washington, giving him a point total of 71.
- Ilya Samsonov’s record stands at 23-12-5 on the season, allowing 119 goals (3.0 goals against average) and collecting 1026 saves with an .896 save percentage (49th in the league).
Washington Capitals Season Stats
- The Capitals have the league’s 10th-best scoring offense (270 total goals, 3.3 per game).
- The Capitals have allowed 242 total goals (3.0 per game) to rank 12th.
- Their 12th-ranked goal differential is +28.
- The Capitals have put up 47 power-play goals this season, which ranks 19th in the NHL (on 256 power-play chances).
- The Capitals have an 18.4% power-play conversion rate, the league’s No. 24 percentage.
- The Capitals have scored eight shorthanded goals this season (ninth in the NHL).
- The Capitals’ 12th-ranked penalty kill rate is 80.4%.
- The Capitals have the 30th-ranked faceoff win percentage in the NHL (47.1%).
- The 10.5% shooting percentage the Capitals have compiled ranks eighth in the league.
- The Capitals have yet to shut out an opponent this season.
Panthers and Capitals Injury Report
Panthers: Markus Nutivaara: Out (Undisclosed), Jonas Johansson: Out (COVID-19)
Capitals: Carl Hagelin: Out (Eye), Tom Wilson: Day To Day (Lower Body)
Betting Tips for Panthers vs. Capitals
We have the Panthers -248 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after digging through all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will go over the total of 6.5 goals, with the Panthers (-1.5) covering the spread.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price