Game 1 of the NHL Playoffs First Round features the Florida Panthers and the Washington Capitals meeting at 7:30 PM ET on Tuesday, May 3. The Capitals are big underdogs away from home, at +181, and the Panthers are -226. Find more below on the Panthers vs. Capitals betting line, injury report, head-to-head stats, best bets and more.
Table of Contents
Panthers vs. Capitals Spread and Betting Line
Panthers vs. Capitals Game Info
- Game Day: Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- Game Time: 7:30 PM ET
- Location: Sunrise, Florida
- Arena: BB&T Center
Computer Predictions for Panthers vs. Capitals
|Panthers (-1.5)||Over (6.5)||Panthers 4 Capitals 2|
Panthers vs. Capitals Betting Trends
- Florida has won 55 of its 74 games as a favorite this season.
- In 30 games with shorter than -226 moneyline odds this season, the Panthers have won 25.
- Per the moneyline odds, Florida has a 69.3% chance of winning this contest.
Florida Panthers Leaders
- One of Florida’s most productive offensives player this season is Jonathan Huberdeau, who has 115 points (30 goals, 85 assists) and plays an average of 19:26 per game.
- Aleksander Barkov Jr. has 39 goals and 49 assists to total 88 points (1.3 per game).
- Sam Reinhart’s 84 points this season have come via 33 goals and 51 assists.
- Sergei Bobrovsky (39-7-3) has a 2.7 goals against average and a .912 save percentage (19th in the league).
Florida Panthers Season Stats
- The Panthers are the highest-scoring team in the NHL with an average of 4.1 goals per game, resulting in 337 this season.
- On defense, the Panthers have conceded 242 goals (3.0 per game) to rank 12th in NHL action.
- Their +95 goal differential is the best in the league.
- The Panthers’ 64 power-play goals they’ve recorded this season (on 262 power-play chances) are the second-most in the NHL.
- The Panthers’ offense ranks fifth the league with a 24.4% power-play conversion rate.
- The Panthers’ offense has capitalized with 12 shorthanded goals this season (second among all squads).
- The Panthers rank 16th in the NHL in penalty-kill success rate at 79.5%.
- The Panthers win 48.2% of their faceoffs (22nd in the NHL).
- The Panthers shoot 11.0% as a team, ranked fourth-best in the league.
- The Panthers average 25.0 hits and 12.1 blocked shots per game.
Capitals vs. Panthers Betting Trends
- The Capitals have been an underdog in 28 games this season, with 14 upset wins (50.0%).
- Washington has not played with moneyline odds of +181 or longer once this season.
- The Capitals have a 35.6% chance to win this game (implied from the moneyline).
Washington Capitals Leaders
- Alex Ovechkin is a top offensive contributor for his team with 91 points (1.2 per game). He has scored 50 goals and 41 assists in 77 games (playing 20:34 per game).
- Evgeny Kuznetsov has made a major impact for Washington this season with 78 points, thanks to 24 goals and 54 assists.
- John Carlson has 17 goals and 54 assists for Florida.
- Ilya Samsonov has an .896 save percentage (45th in the league), with 1026 total saves, while giving up 119 goals (3.0 goals against average). He has put up a 23-12-5 record between the posts for Washington this season.
Washington Capitals Season Stats
- The Capitals have the NHL’s 10th-best scoring offense (270 total goals, 3.3 per game).
- The Capitals’ 242 total goals conceded (3.0 per game) rank 12th in the NHL.
- Their 12th-ranked goal differential is +28.
- The Capitals have put up 47 power-play goals this season (on 256 power-play chances). That ranks 19th in the NHL.
- The Capitals have an 18.4% power-play conversion rate, the NHL’s No. 24 percentage.
- The Capitals have recorded eight shorthanded goals.
- The 80.4% of opponent power plays the Capitals kill is the 12th-ranked penalty-kill percentage in the league.
- The Capitals win 47.1% of their faceoffs. That’s the 30th-ranked rate in the NHL.
- The 10.5% shooting percentage the Capitals have compiled ranks eighth in the league.
- The Capitals have not shut out an opponent this season. They average 25.2 hits and 14.0 blocked shots per game.
Panthers and Capitals Injury Report
Panthers: Aaron Ekblad: Out (Lower-body), Markus Nutivaara: Out (Undisclosed), Jonas Johansson: Out (COVID-19)
Capitals: Carl Hagelin: Out (Eye), Alex Ovechkin: Day To Day (Upper-body)
Betting Tips for Panthers vs. Capitals
We have the Panthers projected as our best bet on the moneyline in this game, and our pick against the spread is the Panthers (-1.5). Our computer model has the scoring going over the total of 6.5 goals when it’s sorted out on the ice.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price