Eric Hosmer, batting .389 this season, leads the San Diego Padres (14-8) into a matchup with one of the league’s other top hitters, Ke’Bryan Hayes (.343 AVG) and the Pittsburgh Pirates (9-11). Hosmer and the Padres are -193 favorites on the moneyline for the matchup at PNC Park, beginning at 1:35 PM ET. Joe Musgrove will get the ball for San Diego while Pittsburgh counter with Mitch Keller.
Table of Contents
Padres vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Padres vs. Pirates
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+163) and Over (7.5)
Padres vs. Pirates Game Info
- San Diego Padres probable starting pitcher: Joe Musgrove
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Mitch Keller
- Game Day: Sunday, May 1, 2022
- Game Time: 1:35 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
San Diego Padres vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Padres Starter Joe Musgrove
- Musgrove (3-0 with a 2.16 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 25 innings pitched) gets the start for the Padres, his fifth of the season.
- The righty last pitched on Tuesday against the Cincinnati Reds, when he went six innings, allowing two earned runs while giving up seven hits.
- The 29-year-old has an ERA of 2.16, with 9.0 strikeouts per nine innings, in four games this season. Opponents are hitting .217 against him.
- Musgrove is seeking his fifth quality start in a row.
- Musgrove will try to extend a five-game streak of going five or more innings (he’s averaging 6.1 innings per outing).
- The opposing Pirates offense has the 21st-ranked slugging percentage (.344) and ranks 24th in MLB play with 12 home runs. It has a collective .239 batting average, and is 14th in MLB with 160 total hits and 22nd in MLB action scoring 77 runs.
- This season, the 29-year-old ranks 18th in ERA (2.16), 13th in WHIP (.880), and 21st in K/9 (9.0) among pitchers who qualify.
Pirates Starter Mitch Keller
- Keller (0-3) will take to the mound for the Pirates and make his fifth start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Tuesday, when he threw 4 2/3 innings against the Milwaukee Brewers, giving up four earned runs while allowing five hits.
- The 26-year-old has pitched in four games this season with an ERA of 6.62, a 2.286 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.642.
- Keller has started four games this season, and he’s lasted five or more innings one time. He averages 4.1 innings per appearance.
- The Padres are batting .231 this season, 16th in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .379 (15th in the league) with 21 home runs.
Padres Betting Picks & Insights
- The Padres have been favorites in 16 games this season and won 12 (75%) of those contests.
- San Diego has played as a favorite of -193 or more twice this season and won both games.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Padres have a 65.9% chance to win.
- San Diego and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 10 of their 22 opportunities.
- In 22 games with a spread this season, the Padres are 14-8-0 ATS.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have come away with seven wins in the 17 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- This year, Pittsburgh has won one of three games when listed as at least +163 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 38% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Pittsburgh and their opponents have hit the over in eight of their 20 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Pirates are 11-9-0 against the spread in their 20 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Padres Leaders & Batting Stats
- Manny Machado has accumulated a team-best 15 runs batted in.
- Among all hitters in the majors, Machado ranks 20th in home runs and seventh in RBI.
- Machado takes a hitting streak of six games into this game. In his last 10 outings he is hitting .429 with two doubles, two home runs, six walks and seven RBI.
- Hosmer’s .389 batting average is a team-high mark.
- Hosmer ranks 46th in home runs and 15th in RBI among all major league hitters this season.
- Jurickson Profar has a team-best five home runs and 15 runs batted in.
- Jake Cronenworth is batting .215 with two doubles, two triples, two home runs and 14 walks.
- Cronenworth has recorded at least one hit in two straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .273 with a double, a triple, a home run, three walks and six RBI.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Hayes leads the team in batting average with a high-water mark of .343.
- In all of MLB, Hayes ranks 256th in homers and 150th in RBI.
- Hayes has collected a hit in two straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .368 with two doubles, three walks and two RBI.
- Daniel Vogelbach has put his power on display as he leads his team with three home runs.
- Vogelbach is currently 46th in homers and 100th in RBI in the major leagues.
- Michael Chavis has been a significant run producer for the Pirates with three home runs and 11 runs batted in.
- Ben Gamel is hitting .228 with two doubles, a home run and eight walks.
Betting Tips for Padres vs. Pirates
We have the Pirates on the moneyline at +163 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after taking a look at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 7.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price