Jazz Chisholm (10 games) will look to add to his hitting streak when the Miami Marlins (13-14) and San Diego Padres (18-10) meet Sunday at 4:10 PM ET, live from PETCO Park. Jazz Chisholm and the Marlins are listed as underdogs on the moneyline by sportsbooks (+142). Joe Musgrove starts for San Diego while Trevor Rogers is Miami’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Padres vs. Marlins Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Padres vs. Marlins
Our computer pick: Miami Marlins (+142) and Over (6.5)
Padres vs. Marlins Game Info
- San Diego Padres probable starting pitcher: Joe Musgrove
- Miami Marlins probable starting pitcher: Trevor Rogers
- Game Day: Sunday, May 8, 2022
- Game Time: 4:10 PM ET
- Location: San Diego, California
- Stadium: PETCO Park
San Diego Padres vs Miami Marlins Pitching Matchup
Padres Starter Joe Musgrove
- Musgrove makes the start for the Padres, his sixth of the season. He is 4-0 with a 1.97 ERA and 33 strikeouts through 32 innings pitched.
- In his last appearance on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Pirates, the righty went seven innings, allowing one earned run while surrendering seven hits.
- The 29-year-old has an ERA of 1.97, with 9.3 strikeouts per nine innings, in five games this season. Opponents have a .227 batting average against him.
- Musgrove is aiming for his sixth straight quality start.
- Musgrove will try to build upon a six-game streak of going five or more innings (he’s averaging 6.1 frames per outing).
- He will take the mound against a Marlins squad that is batting .233 as a unit (16th in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .374 (16th in MLB) with 24 total home runs (15th in MLB).
- The 29-year-old ranks 15th in ERA (1.97), 14th in WHIP (.906), and 20th in K/9 (9.3) among qualifying pitchers in MLB action this season.
Marlins Starter Trevor Rogers
- The Marlins will hand the ball to Rogers (1-4) for his sixth start of the season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Tuesday, when he gave up five earned runs and allowed six hits in 4 1/3 innings against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- The 24-year-old has an ERA of 6.14 and 7.4 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .262 in five games this season.
- He has earned a quality start one time in five starts this season.
- Rogers has made three starts of five or more innings in five chances this season, and averages 4.1 frames when he pitches.
- The Padres are batting .223 this season, 23rd in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .359 (21st in the league) with 24 home runs.
Padres Betting Picks & Insights
- The Padres have won 15, or 68.2%, of the 22 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- San Diego has entered eight games this season favored by -165 or more, and won each of those games.
- The Padres have a 62.3% chance to win this game based on the implied probability of the moneyline.
- So far this season, San Diego and its opponents have hit the over in 14 of their 29 games with a total.
- The Padres are 16-13-0 ATS in their 29 games with a spread this season.
Marlins Betting Picks & Insights
- The Marlins have come away with six wins in the 13 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Miami has yet to play a game this season with longer moneyline odds than +142.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Marlins have a 41.3% chance of walking away with the win.
- Miami and their opponents have gone over in 12 of their 27 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Marlins have an against the spread record of 14-13-0 in 27 games with a line this season.
Padres Leaders & Batting Stats
- Manny Machado is the bat to watch in the Padres lineup, leading the team in batting average (.381), home runs (7), and RBI (21).
- Among all hitters in baseball, Manny Machado’s home run total places him sixth, and his RBI tally puts him fifth.
- Manny Machado brings a hitting streak of three games into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .412 with three home runs, five walks and five RBI.
- Eric Hosmer has eight doubles, three home runs and 13 walks while hitting .355.
- Hosmer is 68th in home runs and 18th in RBI among all major league hitters this year.
- Jurickson Profar is batting .167 with five doubles, five home runs and 18 walks.
- Jake Cronenworth has two doubles, two triples, two home runs and 16 walks while hitting .204.
Marlins Leaders & Batting Stats
- Chisholm paces the Marlins in home runs (four), runs batted in (20) and has a team-high batting average of .313.
- In all of the big leagues, Chisholm is 39th in homers and ninth in RBI.
- Chisholm carries a 10-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last 10 outings he is hitting .333 with three doubles, a triple, three walks and five RBI.
- Joey Wendle is hitting .273 with six doubles, a home run and six walks.
- Wendle ranks 181st overall in homers and 161st in RBI this season.
- Jesus Aguilar is batting .264 with a double, three home runs and 14 walks.
- Jorge Soler leads the Marlins with four long balls.
Betting Tips for Padres vs. Marlins
Our best bet is the Marlins on the moneyline at +142 after looking at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer predicts the scoring will over the total of 6.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price