The Chicago Cubs (9-17) will try to end their four-game losing streak when they visit the San Diego Padres (19-10) on Monday at 9:40 PM ET. Bookmakers consider the Padres to be -146 favorites for the contest, while the Cubs are +127 underdogs looking for the upset. MacKenzie Gore gets the starting nod for San Diego while Kyle Hendricks is Chicago’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Padres vs. Cubs Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Padres vs. Cubs
Our computer pick: Chicago Cubs (+127) and Over (7)
Padres vs. Cubs Game Info
- San Diego Padres probable starting pitcher: MacKenzie Gore
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Kyle Hendricks
- Game Day: Monday, May 9, 2022
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: San Diego, California
- Stadium: PETCO Park
San Diego Padres vs Chicago Cubs Pitching Matchup
Padres Starter MacKenzie Gore
- The Padres will send Gore (2-0) out for his fifth start of the season. He is 2-0 with a 1.71 ERA and 22 strikeouts through 21 innings pitched.
- In his most recent time out on Wednesday, the lefty went 5 2/3 innings against the Cleveland Guardians, giving up one earned run while surrendering four hits.
- The 23-year-old has a 1.71 ERA and 9.4 strikeouts per nine innings across four games this season, while giving up a batting average of .211 to opposing hitters.
- Gore will try to prolong a five-game streak of going five or more innings (he’s averaging 5.1 frames per appearance).
- He will face off against a Cubs squad that is hitting .233 as a unit (14th in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .367 (17th in MLB) with 20 total home runs (23rd in MLB).
Cubs Starter Kyle Hendricks
- The Cubs will send Hendricks (1-3) to the mound for his seventh start this season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Wednesday, when he threw 5 2/3 innings against the Chicago White Sox, giving up four earned runs while allowing seven hits.
- The 32-year-old has pitched to a 5.64 ERA this season with 6.8 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 3.6 walks per nine across six games.
- In six starts this season, he’s earned a quality start in one of them.
- Hendricks has started six games this season, and he’s lasted five or more innings three times. He averages 5.0 innings per appearance.
- The Padres rank 22nd in MLB with a .223 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks 21st in the league (.358) and 25 home runs.
- Among qualified Major League pitchers this season, the 32-year-old’s 5.64 ERA ranks 55th, 1.484 WHIP ranks 54th, and 6.8 K/9 ranks 47th.
Padres Betting Picks & Insights
- The Padres have entered the game as favorites 23 times this season and won 16, or 69.6%, of those games.
- This season, San Diego has won 10 of its 11 games, or 90.9%, when favored by at least -146 on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Padres have a 59.3% chance to win.
- Games involving San Diego have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 14 of 30 chances this season.
- The Padres have an ATS record of 16-14-0 in 30 games with a spread this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have won in seven, or 35%, of the 20 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- This year, Chicago has won four of 10 games when listed as at least +127 or worse on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cubs have a 44.1% chance of pulling out a win.
- Chicago and their opponents have gone over in 13 of their 26 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Cubs are 12-14-0 against the spread in their 26 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Padres Leaders & Batting Stats
- Manny Machado leads the Padres in home runs (seven), runs batted in (21) and has a team-high batting average of .385.
- Among all hitters in baseball, Machado is sixth in home runs and seventh in RBI.
- Machado carries a four-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .412 with two home runs, four walks and three RBI.
- Eric Hosmer has eight doubles, three home runs and 13 walks while batting .351.
- Hosmer is 71st in homers and 19th in RBI on the season.
- Jurickson Profar has five doubles, five home runs and 18 walks while hitting .170.
- Profar will look to build on his two-game hitting in this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .176 with a double, four walks and an RBI.
- Jake Cronenworth has two doubles, two triples, two home runs and 17 walks while hitting .208.
- Cronenworth takes a two-game streak with at least one hit into this one. During his last five outings he is batting .211 with two walks.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Seiya Suzuki has collected a team-leading 15 runs batted in.
- In all of the big leagues, Suzuki ranks 41st in home runs and 37th in RBI.
- Willson Contreras is hitting .256 with six doubles, a triple, three home runs and 10 walks.
- Contreras is currently 71st in homers and 137th in RBI in the major leagues.
- Patrick Wisdom has been a significant run producer for the Cubs with five home runs and 15 runs batted in.
- Ian Happ is hitting .263 with three doubles, two home runs and 15 walks.
Betting Tips for Padres vs. Cubs
After digging through all of the key trends and stats for this matchup, our best bet is the Cubs on the moneyline at +127. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 7 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price