The San Francisco Giants (22-17) stumble into Sunday’s matchup with the San Diego Padres (26-14) looking to break a three-game losing streak. The contest starts at 4:05 PM ET with the Giants listed as -142 favorites to right the ship. Alex Wood will get the ball for San Francisco while San Diego counter with MacKenzie Gore.
Table of Contents
Giants vs. Padres Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Giants vs. Padres
Our computer pick: San Diego Padres (+121) and Over (8)
Giants vs. Padres Game Info
- San Francisco Giants probable starting pitcher: Alex Wood
- San Diego Padres probable starting pitcher: MacKenzie Gore
- Game Day: Sunday, May 22, 2022
- Game Time: 4:05 PM ET
- Location: San Francisco, California
- Stadium: Oracle Park
San Francisco Giants vs San Diego Padres Pitching Matchup
Giants Starter Alex Wood
- Wood (3-2 with a 3.93 ERA and 35 strikeouts in 34 1/3 innings pitched) makes the start for the Giants, his eighth of the season.
- In his most recent outing on Tuesday against the Colorado Rockies, the left-hander threw 4 1/3 innings, giving up three earned runs while surrendering six hits.
- In seven games this season, the 31-year-old has an ERA of 3.93, with 9.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are batting .279 against him.
- Wood does not have a quality start yet this season.
- Wood has five starts this season in which he pitched five or more innings.
- He will face a Padres squad that is batting .227 as a unit (22nd in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .355 (24th in MLB) with 32 total home runs (22nd in MLB).
- Head-to-head against the Padres this season, Wood has pitched 4 1/3 innings, giving up two earned runs on five hits while striking out six.
Padres Starter MacKenzie Gore
- Gore (2-1) will take to the mound for the Padres and make his sixth start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last appearance came in relief on Tuesday when he threw three scoreless innings out of the bullpen against the Philadelphia Phillies while allowing three hits.
- The 23-year-old has pitched to a 2.17 ERA this season with 9.9 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 2.8 walks per nine across six games.
- Gore has not earned a quality start in five starts this season.
- In five starts, Gore has pitched through or past the fifth inning five times. He has a season average of 4.3 frames per outing.
- The Giants have scored 197 runs this season, which ranks third in MLB. They have 322 hits, eighth in baseball, with 43 home runs (eighth in the league).
Giants Betting Picks & Insights
- The Giants have entered the game as favorites 32 times this season and won 20, or 62.5%, of those games.
- This season, San Francisco has won 11 of its 18 games, or 61.1%, when favored by at least -142 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 58.7% chance of a victory for the Giants.
- So far this season, San Francisco and its opponents have hit the over in 21 of their 40 games with a total.
- The Giants are 18-21-0 against the spread in their 39 chances this season.
Padres Betting Picks & Insights
- The Padres have come away with eight wins in the 14 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- San Diego has a mark of 3-3 in contests where sportsbooks favor them by +121 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Padres have an implied victory probability of 45.2% according to the moneyline set by sportsbooks for this matchup.
- San Diego and their opponents have hit the over in 20 of their 41 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Padres are 23-18-0 against the spread in their 41 games that had a posted line this season.
Giants Leaders & Batting Stats
- Thairo Estrada leads the Giants with a .268 batting average.
- Estrada ranks 185th in home runs and 53rd in RBI among all batters in baseball.
- Wilmer Flores has made the most of his opportunities as he leads his team with 23 runs batted in.
- Flores is 79th in homers and 25th in RBI among all hitters in the majors.
- Flores heads into this game looking for his fifth game in a row with a hit. In his last five games he is hitting .263 with a double, a home run, a walk and four RBI.
- Darin Ruf is batting .242 with five doubles, three home runs and 23 walks.
- Mike Yastrzemski is batting .296 with seven doubles, three home runs and 13 walks.
- Yastrzemski has recorded at least one hit in five straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .471 with four doubles, a home run, two walks and five RBI.
Padres Leaders & Batting Stats
- Manny Machado leads the squad with a batting average of .358, and paces the Padres in home runs, with eight and runs batted in with 25.
- In all of the big leagues, Machado ranks 20th in homers and 18th in RBI.
- Machado has collected a hit in five games in a row. In his last five games he is batting .348 with a double, a home run and two RBI.
- Jurickson Profar is batting .217 with eight doubles, a triple, five home runs and 24 walks.
- Among all major league hitters, Profar ranks 58th in home runs and 76th in RBI.
- Eric Hosmer has eight doubles, four home runs and 13 walks while batting .324.
- Ha-Seong Kim is hitting .214 with six doubles, a triple, four home runs and 14 walks.
Betting Tips for Giants vs. Padres
We have the Padres on the moneyline at +121 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after taking a look at all of the key stats and trends for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price