The Arizona Diamondbacks (18-21) hope to avoid their seventh straight defeat when they visit the Chicago Cubs (15-21) Thursday at 7:40 PM ET. The Diamondbacks are listed as -120 favorites to snap their losing skid, while the Cubs are +100 underdogs. Zac Gallen will get the ball for Arizona while Chicago counter with Marcus Stroman.
Table of Contents
Diamondbacks vs. Cubs Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Diamondbacks vs. Cubs
Our computer pick: Chicago Cubs (+100) and Over (8)
Diamondbacks vs. Cubs Game Info
- Arizona Diamondbacks probable starting pitcher: Zac Gallen
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Marcus Stroman
- Game Day: Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Game Time: 7:40 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Chicago Cubs Pitching Matchup
Diamondbacks Starter Zac Gallen
- Gallen (2-0) takes the mound for the Diamondbacks in his seventh start of the season. He’s put together a 1.05 ERA in 34 1/3 innings pitched, with 35 strikeouts.
- The right-hander’s most recent appearance was on Sunday against the Chicago Cubs, when he threw six innings, surrendering one earned run while allowing two hits.
- In six games this season, the 26-year-old has amassed an ERA of 1.05, with 9.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .150 against him.
- Gallen is trying to continue a fourth-game quality start streak in this outing.
- Gallen will look to last five or more innings for his sixth straight appearance. He’s averaging 5.2 frames per outing.
- He will take the hill against a Cubs team that is batting .233 as a unit (16th in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .368 (18th in MLB) with 29 total home runs (23rd in MLB).
- In six innings over one appearance against the Cubs this season, Gallen has a 1.50 ERA and a 0.500 WHIP while his opponents are hitting .100.
Cubs Starter Marcus Stroman
- The Cubs will send out Stroman for his first start of the season.
- The 31-year-old right-hander will make his season debut.
- The Diamondbacks have scored 140 runs this season, which ranks 23rd in MLB. They are batting .205 for the campaign with 41 home runs, seventh in the league.
Diamondbacks Betting Picks & Insights
- The Diamondbacks have entered the game as favorites six times this season and won three of those games.
- Arizona has a record of 3-3 in games where oddsmakers favor them by at least -120 on the moneyline.
- The sportsbooks’ moneyline implies a 54.5% chance of a victory for the Diamondbacks.
- Arizona’s games have gone over the total in 18 of their 44 chances.
- The Diamondbacks are 25-19-0 against the spread in their 44 chances this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have been underdogs in 27 games this season and have come away with the win 11 times (40.7%) in those contests.
- Chicago has a mark of 11-14 in contests where bookmakers favor them by +100 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Cubs have an implied victory probability of 50% according to the moneyline set by oddsmakers for this matchup.
- Contests with Chicago have gone over the total set by sportsbooks in 16 of 36 chances this season.
- The Cubs are 20-16-0 against the spread in their 36 games that had a posted line this season.
Diamondbacks Leaders & Batting Stats
- Christian Walker is the Diamondbacks best power hitter, connecting on nine home runs this season in addition to accumulating 18 RBI, both team highs.
- Walker’s home runs rank him eighth in MLB, and he is 63rd in RBI.
- Daulton Varsho has a club-high .252 batting average.
- Varsho is 38th in homers and 80th in RBI on the year.
- Varsho heads into this game looking for his third game in a row with a hit. In his last five games he is hitting .273 with a double, a walk and two RBI.
- Ketel Marte is hitting .231 with 13 doubles, a triple, two home runs and 13 walks.
- Marte is on a two-game hitting streak entering this contest. In his last five games he is batting .412 with three doubles, a walk and three RBI.
- David Peralta is batting .202 with five doubles, five home runs and 15 walks.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Willson Contreras is hitting .268 with seven doubles, a triple, five home runs and 15 walks.
- Among all hitters in the big leagues, Contreras’ home run total is 51st and his RBI tally ranks 115th.
- Ian Happ’s .282 batting average paces his team.
- Happ is 115th among all hitters in the big leagues in home runs, and 72nd in RBI.
- Seiya Suzuki leads the Cubs with 18 runs batted in.
- Patrick Wisdom has hit a team-high six home runs.
Betting Tips for Diamondbacks vs. Cubs
We have the Cubs on the moneyline at +100 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after digging through all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price