The Arizona Diamondbacks (17-15), led by Jordan Luplow on a two-game home run streak, are -125 favorites on the moneyline to defeat the Chicago Cubs (11-19). First pitch is set for 9:40 PM ET Friday, live from Chase Field. Arizona’s Zach Davies gets the start, and he’ll go against Chicago’s Drew Smyly.
Table of Contents
Diamondbacks vs. Cubs Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Diamondbacks vs. Cubs
Our computer pick: Chicago Cubs (+105) and Over (8.5)
Diamondbacks vs. Cubs Game Info
- Arizona Diamondbacks probable starting pitcher: Zach Davies
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Drew Smyly
- Game Day: Friday, May 13, 2022
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona
- Stadium: Chase Field
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Chicago Cubs Pitching Matchup
Diamondbacks Starter Zach Davies
- The Diamondbacks will send Davies (1-1) to make his seventh start of the season. He is 1-1 with a 3.34 ERA and 22 strikeouts through 29 2/3 innings pitched.
- The righty last appeared on Sunday against the Colorado Rockies, when he threw 6 1/3 scoreless innings while giving up three hits.
- The 29-year-old has put up an ERA of 3.34, with 6.7 strikeouts per nine innings, in six games this season. Opponents have a .213 batting average against him.
- Davies has recorded one quality start this season.
- Davies will look to prolong a three-game streak of going five or more innings (he’s averaging 4.3 innings per outing).
- The opposing Cubs offense has the 20th-ranked slugging percentage (.363) and ranks 25th in MLB play with 22 home runs. It has a collective .237 batting average, and is 20th in MLB with 233 total hits and 20th in MLB play scoring 120 runs.
Cubs Starter Drew Smyly
- The Cubs’ Smyly (1-3) will make his sixth start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last start was on Saturday, when he tossed 4 1/3 innings while giving up two earned runs on six hits in a matchup with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- The 32-year-old has an ERA of 3.04, a 3.4 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.225 in five games this season.
- Smyly has not earned a quality start in five starts this season.
- Smyly has started five games this season, and he’s lasted five or more innings two times. He averages 4.2 innings per appearance.
- The Diamondbacks have scored 116 runs this season, which ranks 23rd in MLB. They are batting .197 for the campaign with 35 home runs, seventh in the league.
Diamondbacks Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Diamondbacks have been favored three times and won two of those games.
- This season, Arizona has won two of its three games when favored by at least -125 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 55.6% chance of a victory for the Diamondbacks.
- So far this season, Arizona and its opponents have hit the over in 12 of their 34 games with a total.
- The Diamondbacks are 22-12-0 ATS in their 34 games with a spread this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have come away with nine wins in the 24 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- This year, Chicago has won nine of 22 games when listed as at least +105 or worse on the moneyline.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cubs have a 48.8% chance of pulling out a win.
- Chicago and their opponents have gone over in 15 of their 30 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Cubs are 15-15-0 against the spread in their 30 games that had a posted line this season.
Diamondbacks Leaders & Batting Stats
- Daulton Varsho is the bat to watch in the Diamondbacks lineup, leading the team in batting average (.245), home runs (6), and RBI (14).
- Varsho ranks 22nd in homers and 72nd in RBI among all hitters in baseball.
- Christian Walker has hit six home runs to pace his team.
- Among all major league batters, Walker is 22nd in home runs and 88th in RBI.
- Ketel Marte has 10 doubles, a triple, two home runs and 12 walks while hitting .204.
- David Peralta has five doubles, four home runs and 13 walks while batting .211.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Willson Contreras leads the team in batting average with a mark of .304.
- Among all hitters in the majors, Contreras’ home run total ranks 55th and his RBI tally is 144th.
- Contreras has collected a hit in five games in a row. During his last five outings he is batting .647 with a triple, two home runs, three walks and three RBI.
- Seiya Suzuki has collected 16 runs batted in to lead his team.
- Among all major league hitters, Suzuki is 55th in homers and 51st in RBI.
- Ian Happ has four doubles, two home runs and 17 walks while hitting .275.
- Nico Hoerner is batting .271 with four doubles, a triple, two home runs and two walks.
Betting Tips for Diamondbacks vs. Cubs
Our best bet is the Cubs on the moneyline at +105 after digging through all of the key stats and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price