An NL Central matchup Monday features the fourth-place Chicago Cubs (13-20) hosting the third-place Pittsburgh Pirates (15-19). The Cubs (-159) are listed as favorites for the game, which gets underway at 7:40 PM ET from Wrigley Field. Chicago’s Wade Miley and Pittsburgh’s Dillon Peters have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Cubs vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cubs vs. Pirates
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+136) and Over (8.5)
Cubs vs. Pirates Game Info
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Wade Miley
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Dillon Peters
- Game Day: Monday, May 16, 2022
- Game Time: 7:40 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cubs Starter Wade Miley
- The Cubs will look to Miley (0-0) in his second start of the season.
- His last appearance came on Wednesday against the San Diego Padres, when the lefty went 3 2/3 innings, surrendering three earned runs while allowing five hits.
- In one games this season, he has put up a 9.00 ERA and averages 3.0 strikeouts per nine innings while opposing batters are hitting .385 against him.
- The opposing Pirates offense has the 21st-ranked slugging percentage (.355) and ranks 23rd in MLB play with 27 home runs. It has a collective .228 batting average, and is 23rd in MLB with 252 total hits and 26th in MLB action scoring 119 runs.
Pirates Starter Dillon Peters
- Peters (3-1) will take the mound for the Pirates, his fourth start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last appearance was on Wednesday, when he threw 3 2/3 scoreless innings against the Los Angeles Dodgers while allowing two hits.
- The 29-year-old has an ERA of 1.83 and 6.9 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .082 in 10 games this season.
- The Cubs have scored 130 runs this season, which ranks 21st in MLB. They have 250 hits, 24th in baseball, with 25 home runs (25th in the league).
- This season, the left-hander has pitched against the Cubs in three games, and they have gone 1-for-15 over 5 1/3 innings.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have entered the game as favorites six times this season and won twice.
- This season, Chicago has won one of its three games when favored by at least -159 on the moneyline.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cubs have a 61.4% chance to win.
- Chicago and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 15 of their 33 opportunities.
- In 33 games with a spread this season, the Cubs are 18-15-0 ATS.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have been victorious in 11, or 42.3%, of the 26 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- Pittsburgh has a mark of 6-12 in contests where bookmakers favor them by +136 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 42.4% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Contests with Pittsburgh have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 14 of 34 chances this season.
- The Pirates are 17-17-0 against the spread in their 34 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Willson Contreras’ .277 average leads the Cubs this year. His resume also includes four homers and driven in 10 RBI.
- In all of Major League Baseball, Contreras ranks 62nd in home runs and 168th in RBI.
- Ian Happ is hitting .260 with four doubles, two home runs and 20 walks.
- Happ ranks 153rd in homers and 76th in RBI in the majors.
- Seiya Suzuki is batting .257 with eight doubles, a triple, four home runs and 17 walks.
- Suzuki has at least one base hit in four straight games. In his last five games he is batting .286 with two doubles, two walks and an RBI.
- Patrick Wisdom’s six home runs and 17 runs batted in both lead his team.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ben Gamel has driven in a team-leading 15 runs batted in.
- In all of the majors, Gamel is 100th in homers and 76th in RBI.
- Daniel Vogelbach has shown his power as he paces his team with six home runs.
- Vogelbach ranks 29th among all hitters in MLB in homers, and 113th in RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes paces the Pirates’ lineup with a .301 batting average.
- Bryan Reynolds is batting .209 with three doubles, a triple, four home runs and 16 walks.
Betting Tips for Cubs vs. Pirates
We have the Pirates on the moneyline at +136 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after taking a look at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price