Led by Patrick Wisdom (two-game homer streak), the Chicago Cubs (6-7) are favorites versus the Pittsburgh Pirates (6-7) Friday at 2:20 PM ET. Oddsmakers have named the Cubs as -162 favorites for the game. Drew Smyly will get the ball for Chicago while Pittsburgh counter with Jose Quintana.
Table of Contents
Cubs vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cubs vs. Pirates
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+139)
Cubs vs. Pirates Game Info
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Drew Smyly
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: José Quintana
- Game Day: Friday, April 22, 2022
- Game Time: 2:20 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cubs Starter Drew Smyly
- Smyly (1-0) makes the start for the Cubs, his third of the season.
- The lefty last pitched on Sunday against the Colorado Rockies, when he went 4 2/3 scoreless innings while giving up four hits.
- He has a .00 ERA and 4.7 strikeouts per nine innings while opponents are hitting .200 against him over his two appearances this season.
- The opposing Pirates offense has a collective .245 batting average, and is fifth in the league with 106 total hits and 16th in MLB play with 49 runs scored. It has the 15th-ranked slugging percentage (.363) and ranks 21st in home runs (nine) in all of MLB.
- Head-to-head against the Pirates this season, Smyly has thrown five innings without giving up an earned run on three hits, while striking out one.
Pirates Starter José Quintana
- Quintana will take to the mound for the Pirates, his third start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last appearance was on Sunday, when he threw four innings, giving up three earned runs while allowing five hits against the Washington Nationals.
- He has pitched in two games this season with an ERA of 3.86, a batting average against of .286 and 4.8 strikeouts per nine innings.
- In two starts this season, Quintana has lasted five or more innings one time, with an average of 4.2 innings per appearance.
- The Cubs have scored 58 runs this season, which ranks seventh in MLB. They are batting .254 for the campaign with 11 home runs, 13th in the league.
- The Cubs have gone 5-for-18 with a double, a home run and an RBI in one game against the left-hander this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Cubs have won one out of the three games in which they’ve been favored.
- Chicago has not entered a game this season as a bigger favorite on the moneyline than the -162 odds on them winning this game.
- The Cubs have a 61.8% chance to win this game based on the implied probability of the moneyline.
- So far this season, Chicago and its opponents have hit the over in six of their 13 games with a total.
- The Cubs have an ATS record of 8-5-0 in 13 games with a spread this season.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have been underdogs in 10 games this season and have come away with the win four times (40%) in those contests.
- This season, Pittsburgh has come away with a win one times in five chances when named as an underdog of at least +139 or longer on the moneyline.
- The Pirates have an implied victory probability of 41.8% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Pittsburgh’s games have gone over the total in four of their 13 opportunities.
- In 13 games with a line this season, the Pirates have a mark of 7-6-0 against the spread.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Seiya Suzuki’s four round-trippers and 12 RBI both lead the Cubs, on top of his team-high .343 average.
- Among all MLB batters, Suzuki is 14th in batting average, first in on-base percentage, and fifth in slugging.
- Frank Schwindel is hitting .245 with three doubles, two home runs and three walks.
- Schwindel ranks 35th in home runs and 29th in RBI on the season.
- Schwindel heads into this game looking for his 10th game in a row with a hit. In his last 10 outings he is batting .256 with three doubles, two home runs, two walks and seven RBI.
- Wisdom is batting .263 with five doubles, two home runs and three walks.
- Wisdom has at least one base hit in five straight games. During his last five outings he is hitting .467 with three doubles, two home runs, two walks and six RBI.
- Willson Contreras has three doubles, two home runs and four walks while hitting .237.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Daniel Vogelbach has launched a team-best three home runs.
- Among all hitters in the big leagues, Vogelbach’s home run total ranks 13th and his RBI tally ranks 80th.
- Vogelbach carries a three-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is batting .313 with two home runs, five walks and three RBI.
- Michael Chavis has driven in the most runs for the Pirates with six runs batted in.
- Chavis ranks 82nd in homers and 58th in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes has a team-high batting average of .333.
- Ben Gamel is batting .243 with a double, a home run and six walks.
Betting Tips for Cubs vs. Pirates
After taking a look at all of the key stats and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Pirates on the moneyline at +139.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price