The Cincinnati Reds (2-11) will try to end their nine-game losing streak when they host the St. Louis Cardinals (7-4) on Friday at 6:40 PM ET. Sportsbooks consider the Cardinals to be -125 favorites for the contest, while the Reds are +106 underdogs looking for the upset. St. Louis’ Steven Matz gets the start, and he’ll go against Cincinnati’s Hunter Greene.
Table of Contents
Cardinals vs. Reds Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cardinals vs. Reds
Our computer pick: Cincinnati Reds (+106) and Over (8.5)
Cardinals vs. Reds Game Info
- St. Louis Cardinals probable starting pitcher: Steven Matz
- Cincinnati Reds probable starting pitcher: Hunter Greene
- Game Day: Friday, April 22, 2022
- Game Time: 6:40 PM ET
- Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Stadium: Great American Ball Park
St. Louis Cardinals vs Cincinnati Reds Pitching Matchup
Cardinals Starter Steven Matz
- Matz (1-1) takes the mound for the Cardinals to make his third start of the season.
- His last time out was on Saturday against the Milwaukee Brewers, when the lefty threw 5 2/3 scoreless innings while giving up three hits.
- In two appearances this season, he has compiled a 7.27 ERA and averages 11.4 strikeouts per nine innings while opposing batters are hitting .316 against him.
- The opposing Reds offense has the worst slugging percentage (.277) and is 21st in MLB play with nine home runs. It has a collective .177 batting average, and is 27th in MLB with 73 total hits and 25th in MLB play scoring 37 runs.
Reds Starter Hunter Greene
- Greene will take to the mound for the Reds, his third start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Sunday, when he threw 5 1/3 innings, giving up two earned runs while allowing five hits against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- He has pitched in two games this season with an ERA of 4.35, a batting average against of .231 and 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings.
- Greene has pitched five or more innings in two straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Cardinals rank 13th in MLB with 50 runs scored this season. They have a .235 batting average this campaign with 13 home runs (sixth in the league).
Cardinals Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Cardinals have won four out of the five games in which they’ve been favored.
- This season, St. Louis has won three of its four games when favored by at least -125 on the moneyline.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cardinals have a 55.6% chance to win.
- St. Louis’ games have gone over the total in five of their 11 chances.
- The Cardinals have an ATS record of 7-4-0 in 11 games with a spread this season.
Reds Betting Picks & Insights
- The Reds have been underdogs in 11 games this season and have come away with the win two times (18.2%) in those contests.
- This season, Cincinnati has been victorious two times in 11 chances when named as an underdog of at least +106 or longer on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Reds have a 48.5% chance of walking away with the win.
- Contests with Cincinnati have gone over the total set by sportsbooks in seven of 13 chances this season.
- The Reds have an against the spread record of 4-9-0 in 13 games with a line this season.
Cardinals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Not only does Nolan Arenado lead the Cardinals in hitting with his .405 average, he also is their premier power option with five home runs and 14 RBI.
- Of all batters in the majors, Arenado is second in home runs and third in RBI.
- Tommy Edman has a double, a triple, three home runs and three walks while batting .342.
- Edman is 13th in homers in baseball, and 40th in RBI.
- Edman has 10 straight games with at least one hit. In his last 10 outings he is batting .353 with a double, a triple, two home runs, three walks and six RBI.
- Tyler O’Neill is hitting .231 with a double, a home run and six walks.
- Albert Pujols is batting .333 with a double, two home runs and two walks.
- Pujols brings a four-game streak with at least one hit into this one. In his last five games he is batting .438 with a double, two home runs, two walks and four RBI.
Reds Leaders & Batting Stats
- The Reds are lead in runs batted in by Kyle Farmer with a mark of six, he also leads the team in hitting, posting an average of .289.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Farmer ranks 195th in homers and 57th in RBI.
- Tommy Pham has shown his power as he paces his team with two home runs.
- Among all MLB hitters, Pham ranks 33rd in homers and 164th in RBI.
- Jake Fraley is batting .129 with a double, a home run and four walks.
- Brandon Drury has swatted a team-high two long balls.
Betting Tips for Cardinals vs. Reds
After digging through all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Reds on the moneyline at +106. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price