After a four-hit game last time out, Paul Goldschmidt leads the St. Louis Cardinals (22-18) as -151 favorites against the Pittsburgh Pirates (16-23). Action gets underway from PNC Park at 11:35 AM ET on Sunday. St. Louis’ Steven Matz gets the start, and he’ll go against Pittsburgh’s Bryse Wilson.
Table of Contents
Cardinals vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cardinals vs. Pirates
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+130) and Under (9)
Cardinals vs. Pirates Game Info
- St. Louis Cardinals probable starting pitcher: Steven Matz
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Bryse Wilson
- Game Day: Sunday, May 22, 2022
- Game Time: 11:35 AM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
St. Louis Cardinals vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cardinals Starter Steven Matz
- Matz (3-3 with a 6.03 ERA and 44 strikeouts in 37 1/3 innings pitched) makes the start for the Cardinals, his ninth of the season.
- The left-hander’s last time out came on Tuesday against the New York Mets, when he went five innings, surrendering two earned runs while giving up three hits.
- The 30-year-old has a 6.03 ERA and 10.6 strikeouts per nine innings across eight games this season, while giving up a batting average of .284 to opposing hitters.
- Matz heads into the matchup with two quality starts under his belt this season.
- Matz will look to pitch five or more innings for his third straight start. He’s averaging 4.2 innings per outing.
- He will face a Pirates offense that ranks 27th in MLB with 283 total hits (on a .224 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .348 (27th in MLB) with 30 total home runs (26th in MLB).
- In three innings over one appearance against the Pirates this season, Matz has a 21.00 ERA and a 3.333 WHIP while his opponents are hitting .500.
Pirates Starter Bryse Wilson
- Wilson (0-2) will take the mound for the Pirates, his fifth start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched out of the bullpen on Monday, when he threw 5 1/3 innings, giving up three earned runs while allowing eight hits to the Chicago Cubs.
- The 24-year-old has an ERA of 5.67, a 1.833 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.593 in seven games this season.
- In four starts, Wilson has pitched through or past the fifth inning one time. He has a season average of 3.3 frames per outing.
- The Cardinals rank third in MLB with a .250 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks 13th in the league (.389) and 36 home runs.
- The right-hander has faced the Cardinals one time this season, allowing them to go 5-for-15 with a double, a home run and three RBI in four innings.
Cardinals Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cardinals have won 12, or 60%, of the 20 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- St. Louis has a record of 7-6 in games where bookmakers favor them by at least -151 on the moneyline.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cardinals have a 60.2% chance to win.
- St. Louis’ games have gone over the total in 19 of their 41 chances.
- The Cardinals are 22-18-0 ATS in their 40 games with a spread this season.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have won in 12, or 38.7%, of the 31 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- Pittsburgh has a mark of 8-14 in contests where bookmakers favor them by +130 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 43.5% chance of walking away with the win.
- Pittsburgh and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 15 of their 39 opportunities.
- In 39 games with a line this season, the Pirates have a mark of 19-20-0 against the spread.
Cardinals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Goldschmidt’s .342 average leads the Cardinals this year. His resume also includes six homers and driven in 29 RBI.
- Goldschmidt’s home runs put him 41st in the majors, and he ranks eighth in RBI.
- Goldschmidt carries a 14-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last 10 games he is batting .465 with eight doubles, four home runs, a walk and 15 RBI.
- Nolan Arenado has shown his power as he paces his team with nine home runs and 31 runs batted in.
- Arenado ranks 11th in home runs and sixth in RBI among all batters in MLB.
- Tommy Edman is hitting .278 with four doubles, three triples, four home runs and 18 walks.
- Edman is on a three-game hitting streak entering this contest. During his last five outings he is hitting .300 with a double, a triple, a walk and two RBI.
- Harrison Bader has four doubles, three home runs and nine walks while hitting .240.
- Bader brings a three-game streak with at least one hit into this one. During his last five outings he is batting .294 with an RBI.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ben Gamel has driven in the most runs for the Pirates with 15 runs batted in.
- In all of MLB, Gamel is 128th in homers and 115th in RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is hitting .285 to lead the lineup.
- Among all MLB hitters, Hayes ranks 323rd in homers and 217th in RBI.
- Daniel Vogelbach has six home runs, best in the lineup.
- Bryan Reynolds is batting .231 with four doubles, a triple, five home runs and 17 walks.
Betting Tips for Cardinals vs. Pirates
After taking a look at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup, our best bet is the Pirates on the moneyline at +130. Our computer picks see the scoring going under the total of 9 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price