The Toronto Blue Jays (20-18), led by Vladimir Guerrero Jr. on a 15-game hitting streak, will meet the Cincinnati Reds (11-26) Friday at Rogers Centre. The Blue Jays are -191 favorites for the matchup, which starts at 7:07 PM ET. Hyun Jin Ryu takes the mound for Toronto while Luis Castillo is Cincinnati’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Blue Jays vs. Reds Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Blue Jays vs. Reds
Our computer pick: Cincinnati Reds (+163) and Over (8.5)
Blue Jays vs. Reds Game Info
- Toronto Blue Jays probable starting pitcher: Hyun Jin Ryu
- Cincinnati Reds probable starting pitcher: Luis Castillo
- Game Day: Friday, May 20, 2022
- Game Time: 7:07 PM ET
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Stadium: Rogers Centre
Toronto Blue Jays vs Cincinnati Reds Pitching Matchup
Blue Jays Starter Hyun Jin Ryu
- Hyun-Jin Ryu makes the start for the Blue Jays, his fourth of the season. He is 0-0 with a 9.00 ERA and eight strikeouts through 12 innings pitched.
- The left-hander’s last appearance came on Saturday against the Tampa Bay Rays, when he went 4 2/3 innings, surrendering one earned run while giving up four hits.
- The 35-year-old has a 9.00 ERA and 6.0 strikeouts per nine innings across three games this season, while allowing a batting average of .300 to opposing hitters.
- The opposing Reds offense has the 25th-ranked slugging percentage (.351) and is 21st in MLB play with 31 home runs. It has a collective .219 batting average, and is 29th in MLB with 261 total hits and 19th in MLB action scoring 150 runs.
Reds Starter Luis Castillo
- Castillo heads to the mound for the Reds to make his third start of the season, seeking his first win.
- The right-hander last pitched on Saturday, when he threw five innings against the Pittsburgh Pirates, giving up three earned runs.
- He has pitched in two games this season with an ERA of 5.59, a 1.75 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.138.
- In two starts, Castillo has pitched through or past the fifth inning one time. He has a season average of 4.3 frames per outing.
- The Blue Jays have scored 140 runs this season, which ranks 23rd in MLB. They have 291 hits, 19th in baseball, with 39 home runs (10th in the league).
Blue Jays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Blue Jays have won 16, or 57.1%, of the 28 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Toronto has a record of 4-4 when favored by -191 or more by oddsmakers this season.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 65.6% chance of a victory for the Blue Jays.
- Games involving Toronto have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 15 of 38 chances this season.
- In 38 games with a spread this season, the Blue Jays are 16-22-0 ATS.
Reds Betting Picks & Insights
- The Reds have been chosen as underdogs in 32 games this year and have walked away with the win 10 times (31.2%) in those games.
- This season, Cincinnati has been victorious one time in 11 chances when named as an underdog of at least +163 or longer on the moneyline.
- The Reds have an implied victory probability of 38% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Cincinnati and their opponents have hit the over in 23 of their 38 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- In 38 games with a line this season, the Reds have a mark of 17-21-0 against the spread.
Blue Jays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Guerrero is the Blue Jays best power hitter, connecting on seven homers this season in addition to collecting 21 RBI, both team highs.
- Guerrero ranks 25th in homers and 32nd in RBI among all batters in the majors.
- Guerrero carries a 15-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last 10 outings he is batting .270 with four walks and two RBI.
- George Springer’s seven home runs and 21 runs batted in both lead his team.
- Springer ranks 25th in homers and 32nd in RBI on the year.
- Springer enters this game looking for his fourth game in a row with a hit. In his last five games he is batting .176 with a triple, two walks and three RBI.
- Santiago Espinal has racked up a team-best batting average of .289.
- Espinal is on a 12-game hitting streak entering this contest. During his last 10 games he is batting .353 with four doubles, a walk and four RBI.
- Bo Bichette has seven doubles, four home runs and nine walks while hitting .242.
|Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||37||.284||.368||.470||7||21||38|
Reds Leaders & Batting Stats
- Brandon Drury paces the Reds with seven home runs and runs batted in, driving in 22.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Drury’s home run total ranks 25th and his RBI tally is 24th.
- Tommy Pham is hitting .240 with five doubles, four home runs and 22 walks.
- Pham ranks 74th among all hitters in MLB in home runs, and 152nd in RBI.
- Tyler Naquin has a team-best batting average of .266.
- Tyler Stephenson is hitting .325 with five doubles, four home runs and six walks.
Betting Tips for Blue Jays vs. Reds
We have the Reds on the moneyline at +163 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after digging through all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price