The Toronto Blue Jays (17-15) stumble into Friday’s matchup with the Tampa Bay Rays (19-13) looking to break a four-game losing streak. The contest starts at 7:10 PM ET with the Blue Jays listed as -125 favorites to right the ship. Kevin Gausman takes the mound for Toronto while Drew Rasmussen is Tampa Bay’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Blue Jays vs. Rays Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Blue Jays vs. Rays
Our computer pick: Tampa Bay Rays (+105) and Over (6.5)
Blue Jays vs. Rays Game Info
- Toronto Blue Jays probable starting pitcher: Kevin Gausman
- Tampa Bay Rays probable starting pitcher: Drew Rasmussen
- Game Day: Friday, May 13, 2022
- Game Time: 7:10 PM ET
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Stadium: Tropicana Field
Toronto Blue Jays vs Tampa Bay Rays Pitching Matchup
Blue Jays Starter Kevin Gausman
- Gausman makes the start for the Blue Jays, his seventh of the season. He is 3-1 with a 2.13 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 38 innings pitched.
- In his most recent outing on Saturday against the Cleveland Guardians, the righty threw 6 1/3 innings, giving up one earned run while surrendering six hits.
- The 31-year-old has a 2.13 ERA and 10.9 strikeouts per nine innings in six games this season, while giving up a batting average of .255 to opposing hitters.
- Gausman is trying to prolong a fourth-game quality start streak in this matchup.
- Gausman is aiming for his seventh straight appearance lasting five or more innings. He averages 6.1 frames per appearance on the hill.
- The opposing Rays offense has a collective .237 batting average, and is seventh in the league with 253 total hits and eighth in MLB play with 137 runs scored. It has the 11th-ranked slugging percentage (.381) and ranks 11th in home runs (30) in all of MLB.
- This season, the 31-year-old ranks 15th in ERA (2.13), 18th in WHIP (1.000), and eighth in K/9 (10.9) among qualifying pitchers.
Rays Starter Drew Rasmussen
- Rasmussen (3-1) will take to the mound for the Rays and make his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up one earned run in five innings pitched on Sunday in his last outing, a matchup with the Seattle Mariners.
- The 26-year-old has an ERA of 2.89 and 8.4 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .192 in six games this season.
- In six starts this season, he’s earned one quality start.
- Rasmussen will look to pitch five or more innings for the fourth start in a row.
- The Blue Jays rank 12th in MLB with a .237 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks ninth in the league (.390) and 35 home runs.
Blue Jays Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Blue Jays have been favored 22 times and won 13, or 59.1%, of those games.
- This season, Toronto has won 11 of its 19 games, or 57.9%, when favored by at least -125 on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Blue Jays have a 55.6% chance to win.
- Toronto’s games have gone over the total in 14 of their 32 chances.
- The Blue Jays are 13-19-0 ATS in their 32 games with a spread this season.
Rays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Rays have been underdogs in seven games this season and have come away with the win three times (42.9%) in those contests.
- This year, Tampa Bay has won one of four games when listed as at least +105 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Rays have an implied victory probability of 48.8% according to the moneyline set by sportsbooks for this matchup.
- Contests with Tampa Bay have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 15 of 32 chances this season.
- The Rays have posted a record of 15-17-0 against the spread this season.
Blue Jays Leaders & Batting Stats
- George Springer has a team-best seven home runs.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Springer’s home run total places him 11th, and his RBI tally ranks him 33rd.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s seven home runs, 19 RBI and .286 batting average all lead his team.
- Guerrero ranks 11th in homers and 25th in RBI among all major league hitters this season.
- Guerrero enters this game looking for his 10th game in a row with a hit. In his last 10 games he is batting .286 with two doubles, a home run, four walks and three RBI.
- Santiago Espinal is hitting .267 with 12 doubles, two home runs and 11 walks.
- Espinal has at least one base hit in six games in a row. During his last 10 outings he is batting .281 with six doubles, five walks and four RBI.
- Bo Bichette is batting .252 with seven doubles, three home runs and six walks.
- Bichette is riding a two-game hitting streak into this one. In his last five games he is batting .238 with two doubles, two walks and two RBI.
|Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||31||.286||.364||.509||7||19||32|
|Lourdes Gurriel Jr.||32||.235||.286||.357||2||11||27|
Rays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Wander Franco leads the team in batting average with a high-water mark of .304.
- Franco’s home run total puts him 55th in the majors, and he is 62nd in RBI.
- Manuel Margot has racked up 20 runs batted in to pace his team.
- Margot is 83rd in home runs and 19th in RBI among all hitters in the big leagues.
- Yandy Diaz is batting .263 with three doubles, two home runs and 18 walks.
- Brandon Lowe has swatted a team-high five home runs.
Betting Tips for Blue Jays vs. Rays
After taking a look at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup, our best bet is the Rays on the moneyline at +105. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 6.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price