The Houston Astros (6-7) will try to end their three-game losing streak when they host the Toronto Blue Jays (9-5) on Saturday at 4:10 PM ET. Sportsbooks consider the Blue Jays to be -123 favorites for the contest, while the Astros are +103 underdogs looking for the upset. Toronto’s Alek Manoah gets the start, and he’ll go against Houston’s Jose Urquidy.
Table of Contents
Blue Jays vs. Astros Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Blue Jays vs. Astros
Our computer pick: Houston Astros (+103) and Over (8.5)
Blue Jays vs. Astros Game Info
- Toronto Blue Jays probable starting pitcher: Alek Manoah
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: José Urquidy
- Game Day: Saturday, April 23, 2022
- Game Time: 4:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Toronto Blue Jays vs Houston Astros Pitching Matchup
Blue Jays Starter Alek Manoah
- Manoah (2-0) takes the mound for the Blue Jays to make his third start this season.
- In his last appearance on Sunday, the righty threw 6 2/3 innings against the Oakland Athletics, allowing two earned runs while surrendering four hits.
- In two appearances this season, he has a 1.50 ERA and 9.7 strikeouts per nine innings, while opponents are batting .128 against him.
- Manoah is seeking his third straight quality start.
- Manoah will look to build upon a three-game streak of lasting five or more innings (he’s averaging 6.0 frames per outing).
- The opposing Astros offense has a collective .200 batting average, and is 25th in the league with 85 total hits and 21st in MLB action with 44 runs scored. It has the 19th-ranked slugging percentage (.347) and ranks sixth in home runs (14) in all of MLB.
Astros Starter José Urquidy
- The Astros will send Urquidy to the mound for his third start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched on Sunday, when he threw 4 2/3 innings against the Seattle Mariners, giving up six earned runs.
- He has an ERA of 7.00, a 4 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.444 in two games this season.
- Urquidy has made one start of five or more innings in two chances this season, and averages 4.2 frames when he pitches.
- The Blue Jays rank seventh in MLB with a .250 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks fourth in the league (.412) and 18 home runs.
Blue Jays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Blue Jays have won six of the eight games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Toronto has a record of 5-2 when favored by -123 or more by oddsmakers this season.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Blue Jays have a 55.2% chance to win.
- Toronto’s games have gone over the total in four of their 13 chances.
- The Blue Jays are 7-6-0 against the spread in their 13 chances this season.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have come away with two wins in the four contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Houston has been listed as an underdog of +103 or more on two occasions this season and won both games.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Astros have a 49.3% chance of pulling out a win.
- Houston’s games have gone over the total in five of their 13 opportunities.
- The Astros have an against the spread record of 5-8-0 in 13 games with a line this season.
Blue Jays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. leads the Blue Jays with five home runs and 11 runs batted in, while racking up a team-high batting average of .320.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Guerrero’s home run total places him second, and his RBI tally ranks him eighth.
- Matt Chapman is hitting .271 with three doubles, two home runs and five walks.
- Chapman is 40th in homers and 23rd in RBI among all hitters in baseball.
- Chapman has four straight games with at least one hit. During his last five outings he is hitting .333 with two doubles and three RBI.
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. is batting .269 with three doubles and three walks.
- George Springer is batting .265 with four doubles, two home runs and two walks.
- Springer has recorded at least one hit in two games in a row. During his last five outings he is hitting .154 with an RBI.
|Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||14||.320||.386||.660||5||11||16|
|Lourdes Gurriel Jr.||14||.269||.316||.327||0||6||14|
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Alex Bregman has collected a team-leading nine runs batted in.
- Among all batters in MLB, Bregman is 40th in homers and 23rd in RBI.
- Jeremy Pena has a club-best .286 batting average.
- Among all MLB hitters, Pena ranks 40th in home runs and 129th in RBI.
- Yordan Alvarez has three home runs, tops in the clubhouse.
- Michael Brantley has two doubles, a home run and four walks while hitting .265.
Betting Tips for Blue Jays vs. Astros
Our best bet is the Astros on the moneyline at +103 after analyzing all of the key stats and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price