The Houston Astros (16-11) will vie for their sixth straight victory when they host the Detroit Tigers (8-17) on Saturday at 4:05 PM ET. The Astros are listed as -199 favorites by sportsbooks, while the Tigers are +169 underdogs. Houston’s Framber Valdez gets the start, and he’ll go against Detroit’s Eduardo Rodriguez.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Tigers Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Tigers
Our computer pick: Detroit Tigers (+169) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Tigers Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Framber Valdez
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Game Day: Saturday, May 7, 2022
- Game Time: 4:05 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Framber Valdez
- Valdez gets the start for the Astros, his sixth of the season. He is 1-2 with a 3.42 ERA and 19 strikeouts in 26 1/3 innings pitched.
- The lefty’s last appearance was on Sunday against the Toronto Blue Jays, when he tossed 6 1/3 innings, surrendering three earned runs while giving up two hits.
- In five games this season, the 28-year-old has put up an ERA of 3.42, with 6.5 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .194 against him.
- Valdez is trying to secure his third straight quality start in this game.
- Valdez will try to last five or more innings for his third straight start. He’s averaging 5.1 innings per outing.
- The opposing Tigers offense has the worst slugging percentage (.310) and is last in MLB play with 11 home runs. It has a collective .222 batting average, and is 23rd in MLB with 181 total hits and 28th in MLB action scoring 76 runs.
Tigers Starter Eduardo Rodriguez
- Rodriguez (0-2) will take to the mound for the Tigers and make his sixth start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last start was on Sunday, when he tossed 5 2/3 innings while giving up four earned runs on eight hits in a matchup with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- The 29-year-old has pitched in five games this season with an ERA of 5.33 and 8.2 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .248.
- He has two quality starts in five chances this season.
- Rodríguez will look to pitch five or more innings for the fourth start in a row.
- The Astros rank 26th in MLB with a .220 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks 12th in the league (.383) and 33 home runs.
- Among qualified Major League pitchers this season, the 29-year-old’s 5.33 ERA ranks 59th, 1.303 WHIP ranks 55th, and 8.2 K/9 ranks 35th.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Astros have won 13 out of the 19 games, or 68.4%, in which they’ve been favored.
- Houston has played as a favorite of -199 or more twice this season and won both games.
- The implied probability of a win from the Astros, based on the moneyline, is 66.6%.
- Games involving Houston have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in eight of 27 chances this season.
- The Astros are 13-14-0 against the spread in their 27 chances this season.
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Tigers have come away with six wins in the 20 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Detroit has a win-loss record of 1-4 when favored by +169 or worse by sportsbooks this year.
- The Tigers have an implied victory probability of 37.2% according to the moneyline set by oddsmakers for this matchup.
- Detroit’s games have gone over the total in nine of their 25 opportunities.
- The Tigers are 10-15-0 against the spread in their 25 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Yordan Alvarez paces the Astros with eight home runs.
- In all of Major League Baseball, Alvarez is third in home runs and 30th in RBI.
- Alex Bregman’s 16 runs batted in lead his team.
- Bregman ranks 35th in home runs and 23rd in RBI on the year.
- Jeremy Pena has four doubles, a triple, six home runs and seven walks while hitting .233.
- Pena is on a four-game hitting streak entering this contest. During his last five outings he is hitting .278 with a double, two home runs and five RBI.
- Kyle Tucker’s 16 runs batted in are a team-high mark.
- Tucker takes a two-game streak with at least one hit into this one. During his last five outings he is hitting .250 with four walks and an RBI.
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Austin Meadows has put up a team-high batting average of .284 while leading the Tigers in runs batted in with a mark of 11.
- Meadows’ home run total puts him 278th in the majors, and he ranks 82nd in RBI.
- Jeimer Candelario is batting .193 with five doubles, two home runs and six walks.
- Candelario is currently 104th in homers and 151st in RBI in the major leagues.
- Javier Baez has collected a team-best 11 runs batted in.
- Robbie Grossman is batting .270 with four doubles and 12 walks.
Betting Tips for Astros vs. Tigers
Our best bet is the Tigers on the moneyline at +169 after taking a look at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price