The Houston Astros (15-11) will vie for their fifth straight victory when they host the Detroit Tigers (8-16) on Friday at 8:10 PM ET. The Astros are listed as -197 favorites by bookmakers, while the Tigers are +167 underdogs. Luis Garcia will get the ball for Houston while Detroit counter with Beau Brieske.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Tigers Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Tigers
Our computer pick: Detroit Tigers (+167) and Under (8)
Astros vs. Tigers Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Luis Garcia
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Beau Brieske
- Game Day: Friday, May 6, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Luis Garcia
- Garcia (1-1) takes the mound for the Astros in his fifth start of the season. He’s put together a 4.15 ERA in 21 2/3 innings pitched, with 19 strikeouts.
- The righty’s last time out was on Saturday against the Toronto Blue Jays, when he tossed six innings, surrendering two earned runs while allowing five hits.
- The 25-year-old has an ERA of 4.15, with 7.9 strikeouts per nine innings, in four games this season. Opponents are hitting .205 against him.
- Garcia is looking for his fourth straight appearance lasting five or more innings. He averages 5.1 frames per appearance on the hill.
- The opposing Tigers offense has a collective .228 batting average, and is 24th in the league with 179 total hits and 29th in MLB action with 74 runs scored. It has the 29th-ranked slugging percentage (.319) and ranks last in home runs (11) in all of MLB.
Tigers Starter Beau Brieske
- Brieske heads to the mound for the Tigers to make his third start of the season, seeking his first win.
- The right-hander last pitched on Sunday against the Los Angeles Dodgers, throwing five innings and giving up one earned run.
- He has pitched to a 3.60 ERA this season with 5.4 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 3.6 walks per nine across two games.
- Brieske will look to pitch five or more innings for the third start in a row.
- The Astros have scored 99 runs this season, which ranks 18th in MLB. They are batting .220 for the campaign with 31 home runs, fourth in the league.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have entered the game as favorites 18 times this season and won 12, or 66.7%, of those games.
- Houston has played as a favorite of -197 or more once this season and won that game.
- The bookmakers’ moneyline implies a 66.3% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- So far this season, Houston and its opponents have hit the over in eight of their 26 games with a total.
- The Astros have an ATS record of 13-13-0 in 26 games with a spread this season.
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Tigers have come away with six wins in the 19 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Detroit has a mark of 1-4 in contests where sportsbooks favor them by +167 or worse on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Tigers have a 37.5% chance of pulling out a win.
- Detroit and their opponents have gone over in nine of their 24 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Tigers have posted a record of 9-15-0 against the spread this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Yordan Alvarez leads the Astros with eight homers on the year. He’s also hitting .280 with 15 RBI.
- Alvarez’s home runs put him second in MLB, and he ranks 29th in RBI.
- Alvarez has collected a hit in four games in a row. During his last five outings he is batting .294 with two home runs, three walks and three RBI.
- Alex Bregman has totaled 16 runs batted in to lead his team.
- Including all major league hitters, Bregman ranks 34th in home runs and 20th in RBI.
- Bregman heads into this game looking for his third game in a row with a hit. In his last five games he is hitting .313 with three doubles and three RBI.
- Jeremy Pena has three doubles, a triple, six home runs and seven walks while batting .233.
- Pena is on a three-game hitting streak entering this contest. In his last five games he is hitting .222 with two home runs and five RBI.
- Kyle Tucker has racked up 16 runs batted in to lead his team.
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Austin Meadows leads the Tigers with 11 runs batted in while putting up a team-best batting average of .284.
- In all of the big leagues, Meadows is 275th in home runs and 80th in RBI.
- Jeimer Candelario has five doubles, two home runs and six walks while hitting .202.
- Among all MLB batters, Candelario is 102nd in home runs and 169th in RBI.
- Javier Baez has a team-high 11 runs batted in.
- Robbie Grossman has four doubles and 11 walks while hitting .282.
Betting Tips for Astros vs. Tigers
After taking a look at all of the key stats and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Tigers on the moneyline at +167. Our computer picks see the scoring going under the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price