Seeking their 27th win of the year, the Houston Astros (26-15) are favorites (-192) on the moneyline when they take on the Texas Rangers (18-21) Sunday at 2:10 PM ET. Houston’s Jose Urquidy gets the start, and he’ll go against Texas’ Taylor Hearn.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Rangers Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Rangers
Our computer pick: Texas Rangers (+163) and Over (8.5)
Astros vs. Rangers Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: José Urquidy
- Texas Rangers probable starting pitcher: Taylor Hearn
- Game Day: Sunday, May 22, 2022
- Game Time: 2:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Texas Rangers Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter José Urquidy
- Urquidy (3-1) takes the mound for the Astros in his eighth start of the season. He has a 4.81 ERA in 33 2/3 innings pitched, with 20 strikeouts.
- In his most recent appearance on Tuesday, the right-hander went five innings against the Boston Red Sox, giving up four earned runs while surrendering 12 hits.
- The 27-year-old has amassed a 4.81 ERA and 5.3 strikeouts per nine innings in seven games this season, while giving up a batting average of .324 to opposing hitters.
- Urquidy enters the outing with one quality start under his belt this year.
- Urquidy enters this matchup with five outings of five or more innings pitched this season.
- The opposing Rangers offense has a collective .222 batting average, and is 25th in the league with 286 total hits and 21st in MLB play with 159 runs scored. It has the 25th-ranked slugging percentage (.353) and ranks 13th in home runs (40) in all of MLB.
Rangers Starter Taylor Hearn
- The Rangers’ Hearn (2-2) will make his eighth start of the season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Wednesday, when he gave up three earned runs and allowed five hits in four innings against the Los Angeles Angels.
- The 27-year-old has an ERA of 5.46 and 9.4 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .277 in seven games this season.
- Hearn has not earned a quality start in seven starts this season.
- Hearn has started seven games this season, and he’s lasted five or more innings three times. He averages 4.1 innings per appearance.
- The Astros rank 20th in MLB with a .231 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks seventh in the league (.410) and 56 home runs.
- The Astros have gone 5-for-19 with a double, a home run and four RBI in five innings this season against the left-hander.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Astros have been favored 31 times and won 22, or 71%, of those games.
- Houston is undefeated in six games this season when favored by -192 or more on the moneyline.
- The implied probability of a win from the Astros, based on the moneyline, is 65.8%.
- So far this season, Houston and its opponents have hit the over in 11 of their 41 games with a total.
- The Astros are 21-20-0 against the spread in their 41 chances this season.
Rangers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Rangers have been victorious in 14, or 48.3%, of the 29 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- Texas has a mark of 2-5 in contests where sportsbooks favor them by +163 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Rangers have a 38% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Texas and their opponents have gone over in 17 of their 39 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Rangers are 24-15-0 against the spread in their 39 games that had a posted line this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Yordan Alvarez’s 12 homers in 2022 are the most on the Astros. He’s also driven in 23 runs while hitting .256.
- Including all MLB batters, Alvarez ranks 68th in batting average, 30th in on-base percentage, and eighth in slugging.
- Kyle Tucker has racked up 26 runs batted in to lead his team.
- Tucker is 30th in home runs and 16th in RBI among all hitters in baseball.
- Alex Bregman is batting .225 with nine doubles, five home runs and 24 walks.
- Michael Brantley is hitting .281 to lead his team.
Rangers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Corey Seager paces the Rangers with eight home runs and has put up a team-high batting average of .252.
- In all of the majors, Seager is 20th in homers and 68th in RBI.
- Seager takes a hitting streak of eight games into this game. During his last 10 outings he is hitting .278 with three doubles, a home run, six walks and four RBI.
- Adolis Garcia has collected 25 runs batted in to pace his team.
- Garcia is 41st in home runs and 18th in RBI among all MLB hitters this year.
- Jonah Heim has five doubles, four home runs and 11 walks while hitting .272.
- Kole Calhoun is hitting .243 with three doubles, a triple, six home runs and six walks.
Betting Tips for Astros vs. Rangers
We have the Rangers on the moneyline at +163 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after looking at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price