The Houston Astros (25-14) and Jose Altuve (four hits last time out) are favored (-178) on the moneyline for their matchup with the Texas Rangers (17-20) on Friday at 8:10 PM ET. Houston’s Cristian Javier and Texas’ Martin Perez have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Rangers Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Rangers
Our computer pick: Texas Rangers (+152) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Rangers Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Cristian Javier
- Texas Rangers probable starting pitcher: Martín Pérez
- Game Day: Friday, May 20, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Texas Rangers Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Cristian Javier
- Javier (2-1 with a 3.20 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 25 1/3 innings pitched) makes the start for the Astros, his fourth of the season.
- The righty last pitched on Saturday against the Washington Nationals, when he threw 3 2/3 innings, allowing seven earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- In seven games this season, the 25-year-old has a 3.20 ERA and 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings, while giving up a batting average of .211 to opposing hitters.
- He will face a Rangers offense that ranks 17th in the league with 155 runs while batting .221 as a squad. It has a collective .355 slugging percentage (21st in MLB action) and has hit a total of 39 home runs (11th in MLB).
- Javier has a 3.60 ERA and a 1.200 WHIP against the Rangers this season in five innings pitched, allowing a .222 batting average over one appearance.
Rangers Starter Martín Pérez
- Perez (2-2) will take the mound for the Rangers, his eighth start of the season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Sunday, when he gave up one earned run and allowed five hits in six innings against the Boston Red Sox.
- The 31-year-old has pitched in seven games this season with an ERA of 2.01, a 3 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.017.
- If he completes six or more innings with three or fewer earned runs allowed, he’ll earn his sixth quality start in a row.
- Pérez will look to pitch five or more innings for the sixth start in a row.
- The Astros rank ninth in MLB with 173 runs scored this season. They have a .231 batting average this campaign with 56 home runs (first in the league).
- The Astros have gone 2-for-23 with a double and an RBI in one game against the left-hander this season.
- The 31-year-old ranks sixth in ERA (2.01), 15th in WHIP (1.017), and 40th in K/9 (7.4) among qualified pitchers in the majors this season.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have won 21, or 72.4%, of the 29 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Houston is 6-1 this season when entering a game favored by -178 or more on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 64% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- Games involving Houston have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 11 of 39 chances this season.
- The Astros have an ATS record of 21-18-0 in 39 games with a spread this season.
Rangers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Rangers have been victorious in 13, or 48.1%, of the 27 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- This season, Texas has been victorious four times in eight chances when named as an underdog of at least +152 or longer on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Rangers have a 39.7% chance of pulling out a win.
- Texas and their opponents have hit the over in 17 of their 37 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Rangers are 22-15-0 against the spread in their 37 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Yordan Alvarez paces the Astros with 12 home runs.
- Alvarez’s home runs put him second in MLB, and he ranks 25th in RBI.
- Kyle Tucker has been productive as he paces his team with 26 RBI.
- Among all MLB hitters, Tucker is 25th in homers and 15th in RBI.
- Alex Bregman is hitting .223 with nine doubles, five home runs and 24 walks.
- Michael Brantley has a club-high .285 batting average.
- Brantley is riding an eight-game hitting streak into this one. During his last 10 outings he is batting .297 with four doubles, a triple, a home run, seven walks and six RBI.
Rangers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Corey Seager paces the Rangers with eight homers while racking up a team-leading batting average of .245.
- Seager’s home run total places him 16th in MLB, and he ranks 61st in RBI.
- Seager brings a hitting streak of six games into this game. In his last 10 games he is batting .286 with a double, four home runs, seven walks and seven RBI.
- Adolis Garcia has driven in the most runs for the Rangers with 24 runs batted in.
- Garcia ranks 40th overall in home runs and 17th in RBI this year.
- Jonah Heim is batting .297 with five doubles, four home runs and 10 walks.
- Brad Miller is batting .211 with a double, six home runs and six walks.
Betting Tips for Astros vs. Rangers
Our best bet is the Rangers on the moneyline at +152 after looking at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price