The Houston Astros (22-11), led by Yordan Alvarez on a two-game home run streak, are -168 favorites on the moneyline to defeat the Washington Nationals (11-23). First pitch is set for 7:05 PM ET Saturday, live from Nationals Park. Cristian Javier starts for Houston while Erick Fedde is Washington’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Nationals Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Nationals
Our computer pick: Washington Nationals (+145) and Over (9)
Astros vs. Nationals Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Cristian Javier
- Washington Nationals probable starting pitcher: Erick Fedde
- Game Day: Saturday, May 14, 2022
- Game Time: 7:05 PM ET
- Location: Washington D.C.
- Stadium: Nationals Park
Houston Astros vs Washington Nationals Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Cristian Javier
- The Astros will look to Javier (2-0) in his third start of the season.
- In his last appearance — out of the bullpen on Sunday — the right-hander threw three scoreless innings against the Detroit Tigers without surrendering a hit.
- In six appearances this season, he has compiled a .83 ERA and averages 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings while opposing batters are hitting .153 against him.
- The opposing Nationals offense has a collective .250 batting average, and is second in the league with 284 total hits and 14th in MLB play with 137 runs scored. It has the 20th-ranked slugging percentage (.362) and ranks 24th in home runs (24) in all of MLB.
Nationals Starter Erick Fedde
- The Nationals will send Fedde (2-2) to the mound for his seventh start this season.
- The right-hander’s last start was on Sunday, when he tossed five innings without allowing a run on two hits in a matchup with the Los Angeles Angels.
- The 29-year-old has an ERA of 3.90, a 1.733 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.433 in six games this season.
- He has started six games this season, earning a quality start (6 or more IP, 3 or fewer ER) in one of them.
- Fedde has two starts in a row of five innings or more.
- The Astros have scored 137 runs this season, which ranks 14th in MLB. They are batting .223 for the campaign with 43 home runs, fourth in the league.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have been favorites in 25 games this season and won 19 (76%) of those contests.
- This season, Houston has won five of its six games when favored by at least -168 on the moneyline.
- The implied probability of a win from the Astros, based on the moneyline, is 62.7%.
- Houston and its opponents have hit the over in nine of their 33 games with a total this season.
- In 33 games with a spread this season, the Astros are 18-15-0 ATS.
Nationals Betting Picks & Insights
- The Nationals have been underdogs in 29 games this season and have come away with the win nine times (31%) in those contests.
- This year, Washington has won five of 10 games when listed as at least +145 or worse on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Nationals have a 40.8% chance of pulling out a win.
- Washington and their opponents have gone over in 15 of their 34 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- In 34 games with a line this season, the Nationals have a mark of 13-21-0 against the spread.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Alvarez has a team-high batting average of .280, while pacing the Astros in home runs (11) and runs batted in (21).
- Among all batters in baseball, Alvarez is second in homers and 19th in RBI.
- Alvarez takes a hitting streak of three games into this game. During his last five outings he is hitting .350 with a double, three home runs, two walks and six RBI.
- Alex Bregman’s 21 runs batted in are a team-high mark.
- Bregman is 34th in home runs and 19th in RBI among all hitters in baseball.
- Kyle Tucker is batting .248 with five doubles, five home runs and 20 walks.
- Jeremy Pena has five doubles, a triple, six home runs and nine walks while batting .276.
- Pena has recorded at least one hit in nine straight games. In his last 10 games he is hitting .394 with two doubles, two home runs, two walks and 10 RBI.
Nationals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Josh Bell has put up a team-leading batting average of .342 while leading the Nationals in runs batted in with a mark of 21.
- In all of the majors, Bell ranks 57th in homers and 19th in RBI.
- Bell takes a hitting streak of six games into this matchup. During his last 10 games he is batting .325 with a double, two home runs, three walks and six RBI.
- Juan Soto’s eight home runs are a team-high total.
- Soto is eighth in home runs and 132nd in RBI among all hitters in the majors.
- Maikel Franco is batting .268 with nine doubles, two home runs and six walks.
- Yadiel Hernandez is hitting .333 with eight doubles, two home runs and six walks.
Betting Tips for Astros vs. Nationals
We have the Nationals on the moneyline at +145 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after digging through all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 9 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price