The Houston Astros (21-11) and Yordan Alvarez (2 HR in his last game) are favored (-160) on the moneyline for their matchup with the Washington Nationals (11-22) on Friday at 7:05 PM ET. Houston’s Framber Valdez gets the start, and he’ll go against Washington’s Josiah Gray.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Nationals Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Nationals
Our computer pick: Washington Nationals (+137) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Nationals Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Framber Valdez
- Washington Nationals probable starting pitcher: Josiah Gray
- Game Day: Friday, May 13, 2022
- Game Time: 7:05 PM ET
- Location: Washington D.C.
- Stadium: Nationals Park
Houston Astros vs Washington Nationals Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Framber Valdez
- Valdez makes the start for the Astros, his seventh of the season. He is 1-2 with a 3.34 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 32 1/3 innings pitched.
- In his last time out on Saturday against the Detroit Tigers, the left-hander threw six innings, allowing two earned runs while surrendering nine hits.
- In six games this season, the 28-year-old has a 3.34 ERA and 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings, while allowing a batting average of .227 to opposing batters.
- Valdez is looking for his fourth straight quality start.
- Valdez will look to go five or more innings for his fourth straight start. He’s averaging 5.1 frames per outing.
- He will match up with a Nationals squad that is batting .251 as a unit (fourth in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .366 (18th in MLB) with 24 total home runs (24th in MLB).
- This season, the 28-year-old ranks 36th in ERA (3.34), 49th in WHIP (1.299), and 44th in K/9 (7.2) among qualifying pitchers.
Nationals Starter Josiah Gray
- Gray (4-2) will take to the mound for the Nationals and make his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched on Sunday, when he gave up three earned runs and allowed five hits in 5 1/3 innings against the Los Angeles Angels.
- The 24-year-old has an ERA of 3.45, a 2.125 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.309 in six games this season.
- In six starts this season, he’s earned a quality start in one of them.
- Gray has five starts in a row of five innings or more.
- The Astros rank 23rd in MLB with a .224 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks eighth in the league (.391) and 40 home runs.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have been favorites in 24 games this season and won 18 (75%) of those contests.
- Houston has a record of 6-3, a 66.7% win rate, when favored by -160 or more by bookmakers this season.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 61.5% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- Houston and its opponents have hit the over in nine of their 32 games with a total this season.
- The Astros are 17-15-0 ATS in their 32 games with a spread this season.
Nationals Betting Picks & Insights
- The Nationals have been chosen as underdogs in 28 games this year and have walked away with the win nine times (32.1%) in those games.
- This year, Washington has won six of 14 games when listed as at least +137 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Nationals have an implied victory probability of 42.2% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Washington and their opponents have gone over in 15 of their 33 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Nationals are 13-20-0 against the spread in their 33 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Alvarez has collected a team-high 10 home runs.
- Of all hitters in baseball, Alvarez’s home run total ranks him first, and his RBI tally ranks him 25th.
- Alvarez takes a hitting streak of two games into this game. In his last five games he is batting .278 with a double, two home runs, four walks and four RBI.
- Alex Bregman’s 20 runs batted in lead his team.
- Bregman is 33rd in homers in the majors, and 20th in RBI.
- Kyle Tucker is batting .255 with five doubles, five home runs and 19 walks.
- Tucker will look to build on his three-game hitting in this game. During his last five outings he is batting .286 with two doubles, a home run, nine walks and three RBI.
- Jeremy Pena has a club-leading 20 runs batted in and .276 batting average.
- Pena takes a nine-game streak with at least one hit into this one. In his last 10 games he is hitting .394 with two doubles, two home runs, two walks and 10 RBI.
Nationals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Josh Bell has posted a team-leading batting average of .345 while pacing the Nationals in runs batted in with a mark of 21.
- Among all hitters in the big leagues, Bell ranks 55th in home runs and 16th in RBI.
- Bell has collected a hit in five games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .350 with a home run, a walk and two RBI.
- Juan Soto’s eight home runs pace his team.
- Soto is seventh among all batters in the majors in home runs, and 118th in RBI.
- Maikel Franco is hitting .268 with nine doubles, two home runs and six walks.
- Yadiel Hernandez is batting .337 with eight doubles, two home runs and six walks.
Betting Tips for Astros vs. Nationals
After digging through all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Nationals on the moneyline at +137. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price