Two of the league’s top hitters will meet Sunday when the Los Angeles Angels (18-11) and Washington Nationals (10-19) take to the field at 4:07 PM ET. Taylor Ward is batting .356 for the Angels (-192 favorites on the moneyline) while Josh Bell leads the underdog Nationals (+163) with a .351 average. Los Angeles’ Patrick Sandoval gets the start, and he’ll go against Washington’s Erick Fedde.
Table of Contents
Angels vs. Nationals Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Angels vs. Nationals
Our computer pick: Washington Nationals (+163) and Over (8.5)
Angels vs. Nationals Game Info
- Los Angeles Angels probable starting pitcher: Patrick Sandoval
- Washington Nationals probable starting pitcher: Erick Fedde
- Game Day: Sunday, May 8, 2022
- Game Time: 4:07 PM ET
- Location: Anaheim, California
- Stadium: Angel Stadium
Los Angeles Angels vs Washington Nationals Pitching Matchup
Angels Starter Patrick Sandoval
- Sandoval gets the start for the Angels, his fifth of the season. He is 1-1 with a 1.29 ERA and 22 strikeouts through 21 innings pitched.
- The left-hander last pitched on Monday against the Chicago White Sox, when he tossed six innings, allowing three earned runs while giving up six hits.
- The 25-year-old has amassed an ERA of 1.29, with 9.4 strikeouts per nine innings, in four games this season. Opposing hitters have a .200 batting average against him.
- Sandoval is aiming for his third quality start in a row.
- Sandoval is seeking his third straight appearance lasting five or more innings. He averages 5.1 frames per appearance on the hill.
- The opposing Nationals offense has the 18th-ranked slugging percentage (.364) and is 22nd in MLB play with 20 home runs. It has a collective .249 batting average, and is first in MLB with 243 total hits and 10th in MLB play scoring 121 runs.
Nationals Starter Erick Fedde
- The Nationals will send Fedde (2-2) to the mound for his sixth start this season.
- The right-hander gave up one earned run and allowed six hits in seven innings pitched against the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday.
- The 29-year-old has pitched in five games this season with an ERA of 4.68, a 2.2 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.440.
- He has earned a quality start one time in five starts this season.
- In five starts this season, Fedde has lasted five or more innings three times, with an average of 5.0 innings per appearance.
- The Angels have scored 134 runs this season, which ranks first in MLB. They have 227 hits, sixth in baseball, with 36 home runs (first in the league).
Angels Betting Picks & Insights
- The Angels have been favorites in 22 games this season and won 15 (68.2%) of those contests.
- Los Angeles has entered three games this season favored by -192 or more and is 2-1 in those contests.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Angels have a 65.8% chance to win.
- Los Angeles and its opponents have hit the over in 13 of their 29 games with a total this season.
- The Angels are 15-14-0 ATS in their 29 games with a spread this season.
Nationals Betting Picks & Insights
- The Nationals have been chosen as underdogs in 24 games this year and have walked away with the win eight times (33.3%) in those games.
- This season, Washington has come away with a win three times in five chances when named as an underdog of at least +163 or worse on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Nationals have a 38% chance of pulling out a win.
- Washington’s games have gone over the total in 13 of their 29 opportunities.
- The Nationals have an against the spread record of 11-18-0 in 29 games with a line this season.
Angels Leaders & Batting Stats
- The Angels leader in both batting average and long balls is Ward, who comes into the matchup hitting .356 and has left the yard six times while driving in 15 runs this season.
- Ward is 13th in home runs and 34th in RBI among all batters in the majors.
- Mike Trout’s six home runs lead his team.
- Trout ranks 13th in home runs and 57th in RBI among all hitters in the majors.
- Trout carries a four-game streak with at least one hit into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .250 with a double, a walk and two RBI.
- Shohei Ohtani is hitting .225 with four doubles, four home runs and 10 walks.
- Jared Walsh has made the most of his opportunities as he leads his team with 19 RBI.
- Walsh has recorded at least one hit in four straight games. During his last five outings he is hitting .400 with a double, three home runs and nine RBI.
Nationals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Bell has posted a team-leading batting average of .351 while leading the Nationals in runs batted in with a mark of 20.
- Bell’s home run total places him 39th in MLB, and he is ninth in RBI.
- Juan Soto has a team-best six home runs.
- Among all major league hitters, Soto is 13th in homers and 179th in RBI.
- Yadiel Hernandez is batting .371 with seven doubles, two home runs and four walks.
- Maikel Franco is hitting .282 with eight doubles, two home runs and six walks.
Betting Tips for Angels vs. Nationals
After digging through all of the key stats and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Nationals on the moneyline at +163. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8.5 runs.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price